• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Handsome Rob

New to GSN!
Thanks for the Welcome 3DMike.

My name is Rob McClanahan. I have been flying since I was a kid with my dad. Just got into 3d and big airplanes within the last 3-4 years. I'm active duty Air Force where I have spent the majority of my career designing and flying Unmanned Aircraft. I'm currently station at Texas A&M University where I am an Air Force ROTC Instructor. My main flying field is in Bryan Texas (www.flybvrc.com). By far the most relaxing and fun club I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

My plan is to start getting out more often to hit various events and get to know more people. I enjoy flying and meeting new people at various clubs. So far this year I have flown in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and obviously Texas.

I have attached some random pictures and a link to a you tube video where my self and Jame Cobb managed to get our 104 slicks to meet head to head and the RC Today Show fly In in June 2013 in Caldwell Tx.

RC_4872.jpgSBach Crash.JPGslich head to head.jpg

Two AJ Slick Mid Air (Rob McClanahan and James Cobb)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltCSVFK0usY

Rob McClanahan

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks for the Welcome 3DMike.

My name is Rob McClanahan. I have been flying since I was a kid with my dad. Just got into 3d and big airplanes within the last 3-4 years. I'm active duty Air Force where I have spent the majority of my career designing and flying Unmanned Aircraft. I'm currently station at Texas A&M University where I am an Air Force ROTC Instructor. My main flying field is in Bryan Texas (www.flybvrc.com). By far the most relaxing and fun club I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

My plan is to start getting out more often to hit various events and get to know more people. I enjoy flying and meeting new people at various clubs. So far this year I have flown in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and obviously Texas.

I have attached some random pictures and a link to a you tube video where my self and Jame Cobb managed to get our 104 slicks to meet head to head and the RC Today Show fly In in June 2013 in Caldwell Tx.

View attachment 24174View attachment 24175View attachment 24176

Two AJ Slick Mid Air (Rob McClanahan and James Cobb)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltCSVFK0usY

Rob McClanahan

Welcome Rob and thanks for sharing a "hall if shame" (as in what a shame) moment. I'm increasingly impressed by the reactions many of our pilots show after s%#} happens! As [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] always says "these things all have expiration dates". I think this good attitude toward unfavorable circumstances (smiles and thumbs up over piles of balsa) is a combination of the ARF revolution and the 3D and XA flying we do. Phrases like "Fly Low", "Fly Extreme", "If you ain't crashin, you ain't tryin", "fly it like you stole it", etc. all come with consequences. Hats off to the smiling and jovial crashers out there. I'm trying to get to a "no expletive" level with a crash! im close but on videos I notice one usually slips out lol. Smiles, handshakes and acceptance sure beats a grown man throwing a tantrum any day. If you can't afford to crash it, you shouldn't fly it!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Yowza!

For a mid air those planes look remarkably fixable. Did they get new motorboxes? Or was the damage worse than it looks?

Welcome to the forum [MENTION=3193]Handsome Rob[/MENTION]. Do you also enjoy driving fast mini coopers? Your name makes me happy lol.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Welcome Rob, and great meeting you this past weekend, loved your 104 slick throw down.

Btw, got the ok from the CC on he cadet visit. Going to hit you up via the global.

! As [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] always says "these things all have expiration dates". I think this good attitude toward unfavorable circumstances (smiles and thumbs up over piles of balsa) is a combination of the ARF revolution and the 3D and XA flying we do.

Airframes are consumables in this era of ARFs. You can fix them for a while, but at some point the weight of the repairs starts to affect performance. I loved my 71 slick electric at 10 pounds. I never fly my gasser 71 slick that is over 11.5 with a few "reinforcements".

SnowDog

Welcome Rob and thanks for sharing a "hall if shame" (as in what a shame) moment. I'm increasingly impressed by the reactions many of our pilots show after s%#} happens! As @Enterprise always says "these things all have expiration dates". I think this good attitude toward unfavorable circumstances (smiles and thumbs up over piles of balsa) is a combination of the ARF revolution and the 3D and XA flying we do. Phrases like "Fly Low", "Fly Extreme", "If you ain't crashin, you ain't tryin", "fly it like you stole it", etc. all come with consequences. Hats off to the smiling and jovial crashers out there. I'm trying to get to a "no expletive" level with a crash! im close but on videos I notice one usually slips out lol. Smiles, handshakes and acceptance sure beats a grown man throwing a tantrum any day. If you can't afford to crash it, you shouldn't fly it!

right there with you Daren! When I first started flying back in the 80's my first instructor pilot gave me this observation (as he was getting ready to maiden my newly built trainer) ;)

There are only two types of R/C airplanes in the word: those that have crashed, and those that will.

:D

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
A big WELCOME to some new folks! Welcome [MENTION=3194]Renanb[/MENTION] [MENTION=3195]350Monter[/MENTION] [MENTION=3196]S.Healy[/MENTION] [MENTION=3197]crasharama[/MENTION] [MENTION=3199]Bill holmes[/MENTION] [MENTION=3200]dmoore83[/MENTION] [MENTION=3203]Stan[/MENTION] [MENTION=3205]bobzilla[/MENTION] [MENTION=3207]rjsmith1962[/MENTION] [MENTION=3208]vincentortegajr[/MENTION] [MENTION=3209]fly247[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3212]Neal_Scott777[/MENTION]! please share pics of your planes and tell us where you fly. We really appreciate you joining 3drcf and if you need anything please let us know!

Neal_Scott777

New to GSN!
image.jpg
Howdy all! I have been reading your post and you have got me all excited again. I have been slammed at work and I have been busy with the little kiddos (2,3,&5). Been put my extra cash into guns and ammo lately.

Been reading the forums and I've got the bug again. I have tried my hand at 3d with a handful of .40 size profiles (they're all dead now). I am gonna get a Twisted hobbies foamy next. I would love some input in what to get and how to power it. I have tried 3d on a tight budget it doesn't seem to fly well. Better to foam it up and save your pennies for what you really want.

After reading in this forum for a few days I have come to the conclusion the old geezers at my club in SA TX (Go Spurs Go) don't know much about 3d. In fact I am pretty sure some of the advice I have received set me back a few planes. It's all good I am a happy crasher! My kids love picking up the pieces...