• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey,
I'm Chris. I just started flying RC aircraft a few months ago with a Gamma 370 and have quickly moved up to a Parkzone p-51 and now I bought a Hanger-9 Twist 60. When I bought the Gamma I also purchased the Realflight 6 package and have logged around 150 hours on it so far.

I'm still very new to flying though and have joined a club in my area which has instructors. I'm taking advantage of their time and getting some great feedback and tips.

I heard about the forum last night while listening to the last ATTF podcast and was very interested in becoming a member of this community. Another thing that drew me in instantly was the fact that I am a USAF veteran and after hearing that the creator of the forum is a USAF pilot I had to join. I worked as a Jet Mechanic on B-52's out of Barksdale AFB.

Currently I'm in the Southwest Chicago Suburbs working as a Transport Refrigeration Technician.

Pleased to meet ya,
Chris

Welcome Chris! Really happy to have you on the site. Thanks for your service on the BUFF. I've never flown one, but I have been in a few, and I currently work with a few former BUFF drivers. Still amazes me how that plane can carry so much ordnance! A true testament to our engineers in the late 50's and 60's. Both the BUFF and my beloved HERC are still going strong today!

Please let us know if you have any questions, we're all here to help!

-G

The BUFDT as I like to call it. Big Ugly Flying Dump Truck. Lol. One of my good friends(B-52 pilot) shot a little video during a refuel on his way to Guam. We were watching him twist the yoke from side to side in big amounts, yet the plane hardly banked. After asking about it, he said that thing flies like a big ole dump truck. It just kind of stuck. :D

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Back when I first started flying full scale, I thought it was the coolest thing to be in the pattern with B-52s and anything else passing through. A little intimidating being in a C152 and hear tower say "number three behind the F-16s following the B-52 on short final." Lol.

Very cool. I shot an instrument approach into McArthur on Long Island behind an F14 who declared an emergency with low fuel with the Goodyear Blimp behind me. I had to enter a holding pattern for one circle and the Blimp just slowed down.

A little unknown thing about the B-52 that some may not know is that it does not have ailerons. It turns all with Spoilers and if it got in a bank of 45º it could not get out of it because it did not have any influence from below the wing.

Chris M

New to GSN!
We lost one at Fairchild because of that reason. The pilot banked her too hard and she slid out of the sky. It was a terrible thing to watch.

gyro

GSN Contributor
We lost one at Fairchild because of that reason. The pilot banked her too hard and she slid out of the sky. It was a terrible thing to watch.

I think I remember that one from CRM training.... hot shot pilot showing off for an airshow or right before an airshow, right?

Chris M

New to GSN!
Yes, he was hot dogging, and lost it. Killed him and his crew. Such a loss. Boy did we go off topic!

Glad to be here and I look forward to picking the collective brains of the forum. I'm really new to this stuff. I'm gonna need a ton of help.

Miss Kerry

New to GSN!
Hello! I thought that I should introduce myself in case you guys see me lurking around. I am still learning the basics of RC flying, but I hope to be up-to-speed by next flying season to begin 3D flying.

I was first introduced to the hobby a little over a year ago when I started dating my fiance. I would go to the flying field with him and watch. Then I took him to SEFF this year for his birthday and I really started paying attention to the 3D stuff. When we left there I let him know that I wanted to learn how to fly. He's been teaching me (as time allows) since May. That sounds like a long time but due to our schedules it seems like I've only been able to actually get any flying time in a little over a handful of times. I have a sim on my laptop, though, so I've been trying to practice when I get a chance.

My fiance was a bit surprised when I mentioned that I wanted to get involved with 3D flying. He's an EDF jet guy, so that's his forte. I've already confiscated his DX7 and have taken ownership of it. Don't feel bad, though. I only did that after he purchased the new DX18! I'm going to ask for an EPP 3D plane for Christmas, but I haven't quite decided which one. I'm still doing my research.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't mind having me skulking around. I mainly want to sit back and observe while trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible. I'll jump in when I feel that I can, but I'm still very new to the whole RC and airplane world. Thanks :)

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Welcome! For a first 3D plane you should really get an EPP, so you have that right. Id recommend a 32" from www.twistedhobbys.com, and get a bunch of props and batteries. I have the Crack Yak and its a barrel of fun. Just be sure to use surgical tubing on the prop saver, it works a million times better than O-rings.