• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New DA 60 not start

Hi dears,meet me introduce me, I am Daniel, I am from Colombia.

I bought a new DA 60 engine in aeroworks around 1 month ago y the last weekend I was trying to star for first time but it was impossible. I was checking connections, used three different batteries 4.8 and 6 v, I used 2 spark plugs, I made the connection directly without switch and nothing, it was impossible. Finally, I could see the problem is the cap no produce a spark. So I do not if the CDI or sensor has some problems, but no works.
Of course in Colombia we have not DA support and I was asking in Fedex about the shipping cost to DA and is around 100 usd dollar and I have to pay the cost for engine return to my country, in this case can be $200 use total cost. You guys can see the cost is higher than new parts (CDI and sensor) but I do not if the CDI and sensor has some problems or not and i can lost my money.

Can you recommend to me some points to check First in my engine? There is any way to check the CDI operation? Tester for CDI? How can I know if the CDI or sensor are broken before to spend more money in a new parts?

Thanks in advance and apologies because my English is not so good.

Daniel

thurmma

150cc
This may sound crazy but, have you checked the plug from the pickup to the CDI? Is there a chance it is plugged in backwards? Just a thought.

This may sound crazy but, have you checked the plug from the pickup to the CDI? Is there a chance it is plugged in backwards? Just a thought.
Hi dear, yes i have checked that connection several times and have done some measuments with multimeter and i can verify the voltage is OK.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Keep in mind you cannot just run the magnet past the sensor and get a spark like most ignitions. I believe it must be traveling at at least 400 RPM.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
No....hand flipping the prop will be fine. You should be able to see spark with the plug grounded to the engine when you flip it (like you do when trying to start). If you have spark, then check to see if it's getting gas? If you have some starter fluid, or carb cleaner, a quick shot into the carb will usually get an engine to fire. If it does, but doesn't keep running you might have a fuel delivery problem.

GSNadmin

Staff member
My 2 cents,
1) choke engine
2)flips till you get a start
3)un-choke
4) flip 3-5 time and go fly

Most people new to gas ALWAYS flood the engine by over choking, than unless you dry out the plug will not start. DA's start with in a few flips, 98% of all my planes had a DA and is the only engine I use. But the starting applies to all gas engines.