• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have found it easier to put the Champ on the nose while accessing the interior. The batteries and switching under the front seat.
I enjoyed following Merlyn's builds as well. There is a fellow over on RCG rebuilding his Starship, don't know if you had seen it? He is taking pounds out and different airfoil.

Correct on the starship rebuild, amazing the weight difference. I've followed that build since day 1.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thinking that this wing lock idea will be fine for the front spar. I'll just leave the scale bracket unused inside the cabin.

Drilled and countersunk before I cut the bevel. This is just pine wood, a trial piece. It looks like I need about a 2" bolt so this is on hold until McMaster Carr delivers (next day here in Atlanta).

16673440249451582208891.jpg

I clamped the pre drilled block, then drilled through the block.

20221101_190047.jpg

20221101_190206.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Upper front wing/ cabin area just free floats, nothing tied to the framework at all. I'm to finding some online Cub photos indicating some cross brace structural support. Once I confirm this, game on as I'm tired of fretting over this problem.

20221111_212041.jpg

20221111_213436.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Excellent, then I'm on the right path. Nothing is shown on the plans but I knew something wasn't right.

TonyHallo

150cc
I just did some calculations based on 1220 pound gross weight full scale Cub, the lift struts are carrying 1080 pounds of the lift force while the center bolts are carrying the remaining 160 pounds of lift. Of course this is at level flight. There is also a compressive force on each spar of about 500 pounds, this force cancels in level flight. The drag forces will tend to decrease the compressive forces somewhat. This is why the Balsa USA Cub can fly with 2 - 5/16" wood dowels at the root, most of the forces are in the struts. Many what to put a wing tube in but the cabin structure is not there to carry the load without the lift struts.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Mostly the entire upper cabin/ wing area is (currently) only supported by 2 window pillars. Side to side sway is almost zero but still there. The little cross braces will be plenty.