• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rant! My old fav bit the dust.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have been flying the WM epp/balsa edge 540 since spring. I was not a fan at first. I bought it for my 10 y/o son for christmas. But did not really take a shine to it. I built it up with a torque 20T/1030 57g motor 30a esc, Solar Servo D220 Digital servos. 1300 mah gens ace 3s packs. It flew ok. Nothing exciting. Not enough motor really. On the second flight I did discover it could throw decent tumbles. Starting to like it. I brought it back in for a close hover and it was all over the place. The fuse broke in the air right behind the wing. We will just blame that on me being to rough in the air. I let it set until the snow melted. I finally performed surgery and fixed it up. I noticed it was really built for foamy style floaty 3d. Nice and light. I beefed it up. I noticed the tail flexing and braced it, worked on dialing cg and throws (more travel!). Now I really have something! It flies great I have really been flying the snot out of this guy.

You see, my 3dhs Yak 54 epp was a pussycat. Spun like a top and is a very fun plane. I had snapped the spar doing way violent tumbles. That crash broke the firewall. Very easy to hover. Amazing for a "foamie" in my opinion. Now, I still have that and it will fly again. If that would not have happened, I probably would have never took the time to get this little guy flying so well.

Well my cheap digital servos have been jittering. I should have know what was coming. I was coming back over the field. I did a dive to a wall. I rode the elevator down into a harrier back over the field. I would pull up and the nose would mush over. I could see the elevator relax! Wow, I thought. I thought was foam was getting soft and causing some of the "odd" things going on. I never had a servo fail like this. I was watching this for maybe 20 seconds (forever it seemed). I let the hover torque 180 so I could drop the nose and land. It rolled over from about 6' high straight on its nose. I could fix it. I don't think I will though. I learned a lot of moves on this one. I learned to hover for an extended time. It is on to balsa now for me. I have flown plenty of balsa but not a modern 3d balsa plane. I won't become some 3d hero but I am improving dramatically. Compared to most of you I am probably not very good. The grumpy ol' guys that helped me into the hobby? I flew with one a while back. He had never even seen most 3d stuff but understands how to fly. So he could at least appreciate the flight. He was blown away! That made me feel really good. Progression is good

So the moral of my rant here is how much you can learn from a stupid plane the the old man circle fliers would laugh of the field. Yeah, thats a stereo type. but I find it that I find amusing and use it affectionately. Most of what I learned was set up. I mean the finer points of setup. Really feeling the plane out. Also reinforcing the basics. I guess really "figuring things out". So while we get all spendy and excited over the latest and greatest. We dont always take the time to really learn and tweak and fly the heck out of what you have. Getting it to work. I take this as a lesson learned. Well enough blah,blah,blah from me. I gotta go the UPS guy is here. I hope he has my new EF Laser!!! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris...

30cc
Nice post Gonzo i totally agree instead of always buying the the latest and greatest fly the snot out of what you have first....

PS

Got to go my EF EXP is at the door :peace:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Nice story to remind us to enjoy what we have.
Hope you get your Laser soon, it's such a fun airplane!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I really need to edit that. I did get the laser!!!! Just deciding on power and servos. Maiden on my SHP hopefully in the morning........

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Well I am getting along grand with the SHP! Working on the setup still. Sliced my hand open at work so that has thrown me off the planes a bit but getting back to it. I am learning how to set up throttle curve this evening. That thing takes off like a rocket at 1/4 throttle. I need to soften up the response. Thats this evenings project.