• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

motor mounts, aluminum is preferred....

I have noticed recently on another forum, two different threads on motor mounts, one by an independent person and the other by Blazing star.
Blazing star makes what sort of what I am looking for, except, only for motors 120 and under. This is distributed by Extreme Flight. Was originally designed and manufactured by "gravy goodness", or something like that. LOL...

the DA 150, 170, and 200 all share the same mount pattern, which is 80 mm by 90 mm.

I have, for about 2 years, been trying to find a way to get someone to make me one, but at no avail.

In the past 2 weeks, I have learned to use Autodesk Fusion 360, and I was able to make the model of the mount I am looking for.

da 200 mount.jpg

I have forwarded this to several companies in USA. I was able to find these companies by making a Google search : "Custom CNC aluminum machining"

I got replies from several of them, and most will not do one or two, they want an order of over 100 of these bad boys.

Then, one replied, they can do it, for 840 dollars!!!

WOW, I would be nuts to pay that much money.

I actually have the aluminum and need to get it cut down to size, and maybe by shipping this to someone, they can machine it for me.

IMG_1287.JPG

If anyone knows of someone with a CNC machine who can make this for me, please PM me.

I have the model of it in the auto cad file ( .iges)

thank you

Cam

Hello,
thank you for your comments. We do not have anything like that, anywhere near here.
Unfortunately.

Our town has a population of about 180,000 or so.

I may have found a solution. Give me about 2 weeks and I will post what I will do.
It will be super light, and will not require a CNC machine, or anything like that.

Right idea here. I was able to make several custom aluminum parts for my car when I took some CNC machining classes years back.

I can do the same thing, but no access to CNC equipment. I have my CNC certificate and such... But every company wants 5 years experience, but won't hire anyone to get that experience.

I have a friend who runs CNC lathes and ProtoTrak mills. He makes stuff for me all the time. He is getting ready to do a sleeve for my shiftier knob for my Hurst shiftier.

Hello,
thank you for your comments. We do not have anything like that, anywhere near here.
Unfortunately.

Our town has a population of about 180,000 or so.

I may have found a solution. Give me about 2 weeks and I will post what I will do.
It will be super light, and will not require a CNC machine, or anything like that.

How many mounts are you looking at needing??

Problem with that is, some machines wont create the proper "G" code, with your program. G Code is machine language. ProtoTrak mills you program it right on the machine. Create a fixture, grab a part, poke 4 mounting holes in it, slap it to the fixture, and machine away. Then the 4 lightning holes around wont be hard at all.

I will PM you my buds email address, I have to get it first, and you can take it from there. I'll make him aware of your incoming email to him.

He loves doing that stuff.

I have made two of these, But I also have contacted Chris's friend, Dan, who is also making me some that Are CNC. Thank you @Bunky.F.Knuckle for the introduction to your friend. I really appreciate you.

I made these yesterday and today, and
They are SWB standoffs, that I brazed aluminum solder onto a 1/8" aluminum plate, front and back. After I cut out a central hole, total weight is 4.7 ounces, and it feels very strong.

This piece, will get a nice polishing before it is installed, and the edges rounded out, so there are no sharp edges.

total length is 43 mm.

Once the ones come in from Dan, then I can decide which I will use. Now I will have over 6 mounts! Some with Different weights and material, so I can experiment.

IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG