• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

motor box top plate - ok to use screws or is epoxy a must

Thanks Terry. It's not as nice as the kits you're building, but I appreciate the compliment. Do you think I went a bit overboard on the socket head screws on the front with (5)? When I pulled them all out to seal the motor box they seemed pretty heavy. I don't have my scale working so I can't weigh them.

Wondering if titanium would be suitable, there is enough of them.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
They are fine, you could literally add two pounds to that plane with that engine and it will still have rag-doll power. The only thing is wing loading, which it sounds like to me you need a little weight on the nose anyway. My only question was if you drilled and tapped them into the aluminum bracket or did you just have the bolts in there. No need to tap, but if you did make sure you install nylock bolts too.

Funny how far ARF design has come in the last few years compared to that engine box.

That was just a mock up to check alignment and fit, i did not thread the aluminum braces. I took it all apart after and epoxied the box. I have nylon locknuts for the screws which I'll use during final install. I don't like to thread nylon nuts too many times, I feel like the nylon has the best grip the first time you install them.

Yea, I see other posts and some of my newer models and the build techniques are radically different now. I like Caps and Sukhoi though, they are not the "in" thing so there aren't too many out there. I kind of like what I like, u know... :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
They are fine, you could literally add two pounds to that plane with that engine and it will still have rag-doll power. The only thing is wing loading, which it sounds like to me you need a little weight on the nose anyway. My only question was if you drilled and tapped them into the aluminum bracket or did you just have the bolts in there. No need to tap, but if you did make sure you install nylock bolts too.

Funny how far ARF design has come in the last few years compared to that engine box.
I was actually musing at that the other day. If only some of the new guys seen what an ARF design was like 15 years ago.... :laughing: