• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

TonyHallo

150cc
Looks like a nice machine, like the power crossfeed and reverse feed. They are 25 miles from my home and never heard of them? The slim live center would be a good option if you with them.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That looks like a perfect machine you will be very pleased with it and has true inch feed very important for us that work in 4-40 and 2-56 thread sizes.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Most of your comments are over my head but I want to make my own stuff so I will figure it out. Still seems like that size is too much for our hobby.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Most of your comments are over my head but I want to make my own stuff so I will figure it out. Still seems like that size is too much for our hobby.

If you can you will never regret buying it. Good tools are always a good investment, and they last a life time.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Looks like a nice machine, like the power crossfeed and reverse feed. They are 25 miles from my home and never heard of them? The slim live center would be a good option if you with them.

Tony, what other brands are out there? I'm seeing a couple of brands but not many.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Harbor Freight is probably good enough for what we do. I just bought a used Harbor Freight mini mill off a friend of mine. Hoping to pick it up sometime today.

TonyHallo

150cc
Here's a photo from yesterday, was center drilling a piece stock to hold the rod end screws while the heads were faced. Took 12" of the way just to drill, needed to push the tailstock out of the to tap, this is why a larger machine is better. I would get the 30" bed if possible

IMG_2685.JPG

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Here's a photo from yesterday, was center drilling a piece stock to hold the rod end screws while the heads were faced. Took 12" of the way just to drill, needed to push the tailstock out of the to tap, this is why a larger machine is better. I would get the 30" bed if possible

So the PM1030v is now on the bigger side of my search.