• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

Something showed up!

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 113
Had a snafoo right off the bat. Precision Matthews has been really good with getting things right. The carrage moved just fine for a couple of runs back and forth by hand, then it just started to free spin. I took a peak at the parts break down and figured something was wrong with the gear assembly the handwheel gear engages. I pulled the handwheel assembly out and sure enough a pin dropped out of the gear. I used a magnet to fish around in the bottom of the oil resivor and found the pin. I pulled the apron off and installed a new pin and all is well again.

Attachments

• IMG_6910.jpg
    IMG_6910.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6918.jpg
    IMG_6918.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 104
So far so good. I tightened up the gibs just a touch and leveled it out. One thing I wasn't aware of was that the chip pan bottom is elevated. I had to put some 3/4" boards under the chip pan so the lathe was on solid ground. The spindle also doesn't have any extra meat for a screw on type spider. I had to make one that slips inside the spindle, so I can only use it on stock that's 1 1/16 or less. witch shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Attachments

• lathe18.jpg
    lathe18.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 86
  • lathe16.jpg
    lathe16.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 93
A few pics of the first project. I have some 2 1/4" brass stock I used.

Attachments

• lahte2.jpg
    lahte2.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 78
  • latrhe1.jpg
    latrhe1.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 76
  • lathe4.jpg
    lathe4.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 78
  • lathe15.jpg
    lathe15.jpg