• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Midwest Cap232 (old kit) DLE55

mac26r

50cc
I need some advise from the Guru's. This is my 1st attempt at building a big airplane from a kit and so far it's been ok. I've run in an issue that I'm not sure how to solve. The kit is from 2003 and the plans call for a Moki 30 or Genoa G-45. I looked up the G-45 and it weighs more than the DLE55 I have on hand so I thought it would work ok.

Now the fun. Forward edge of the cowl is approx 11". The prop plate when mounted to the plane is approx 12.5". That appears to be to big a gap to just drill a hole in the firewall and mount the engine farther back because the throttle/choke levers would have clearance problems unless I made a very large cutout in the firewall. The only other option I can come up with is to remove 1.5" from the whole engine box and then epoxy a doubler to the new joint.

I don't know which way would be a better/stronger way to go and hopefully some of you master builders can point me in the right direction.
Thanks,

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
First..Congrats on doing the build. Not sure about the cut out approach as it depends on how much material would be removed.
I have done this approach before on retro for pre-builds to add a different motor up front. Ideal after cut off would be like I have in pic but takes a little more effort. The cad pic would be a little easier but you will need to pin the firewall as you see in pic. You also should glue in ½”balsa tri stock all around the inside. There may be more approaches to this but this it mine so maybe it will help

EB17.png EB23.png MB4.gif

mac26r

50cc
Fibertech,
Thanks for the reply. So I pulled up my shorts and cut the engine box down, the first pull of the saw is the hardest! I had already built the engine box and pinned and epoxied the firewall because it had never occurred to me to check cowl/engine fit before hand. Live and learn and I won't do that again. Everything looks good and I took your advise to run 1/2" tri all the way around the inside of the firewall. I think I'm going to go ahead and pin the firewall again just to make sure it never fails.

I built one of those Cap and put a Brison 3.2 on it. Not a weight problem a tall. In fact, I had he battery right behind the FW to balance it. It flew pretty well whatever the CG was on the plans.

BalsaDust

When I build mine it will get a DLE 55. Might be on hold building it for a while though as I'm getting a 30% Carden cap 232 in a trade so my DLE 55 will be going into that.