• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mah = lighter plane

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Having fun with it I found this -

Yes, the change of the mass is pretty much negligible and can't be measured by current scales. The difference boils to Einstein's E=mc2 that follows from his special theory of relativity. Energy is equivalent to mass and c2, the squared speed of light, is the conversion factor. For example, Chevrolet Volt has batteries that may store 16 kWh. Multiply it by 1,000 and 3,600 to get the value in Joules; divide it by 1017 which is (approximately) the squared speed of light and you get the mass difference in kilograms. It's about

16×1,000×3,600/1017=0.6×10−9. That's half a microgram – for this huge Chevrolet Volt battery.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
Dang it Ray,why did you have to go get all serious and ruin this thread?I had a smart ass comment but now I can't post it.:miserable:

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Ohio AV8TOR;10745 wrote: Having fun with it I found this -

Yes, the change of the mass is pretty much negligible and can't be measured by current scales. The difference boils to Einstein's E=mc2 that follows from his special theory of relativity. Energy is equivalent to mass and c2, the squared speed of light, is the conversion factor. For example, Chevrolet Volt has batteries that may store 16 kWh. Multiply it by 1,000 and 3,600 to get the value in Joules; divide it by 1017 which is (approximately) the squared speed of light and you get the mass difference in kilograms. It's about

16×1,000×3,600/1017=0.6×10−9. That's half a microgram – for this huge Chevrolet Volt battery.

So what your saying is my math was a little off...

O

Ohio AV8TOR

siko_flyer;10750 wrote: Dang it Ray,why did you have to go get all serious and ruin this thread?I had a smart ass comment but now I can't post it.:miserable:
That was my smart ass comment :smile-new:

ExtraNuts

70cc twin V2
This must be why one of my planes feels like it hovers better at the end of a flight. Its batteries are in front of the wing tube. :running-lol: