• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Keeping My Hobby Interest Alive

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I've been down on flying lately and I'm not sure why. I think it is mostly to do with my hangar not currently being in the sweet spot that I would like. I am thinking of having a fire-sale and using the proceeds to go into one or two really nice models. Currently I have a trashed 20cc Extra that I am repairing, a giant foam Pitts that a club member gave to me that I need to install a motor and ESC on, my Byper, my EPP Edge, and my Buck Huck.

Thoughts?

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I think a 30cc class plane should do and I'll sell stuff as needed to make room and for helping with funding if the need arises. Then I'll sell what no longer gets flown. I'm thinking the 72 Extra, the 74 Edge or the 78 Extra from either Aeroworks or EF. I'll probably pick up an airframe then acquire parts over the next year or so. I'm leaning towards a DLE 35 at the moment but I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Another option would be part out my 20cc Extra and put that gear into a 70" 3dhs Velox or EF Extra. Hmmm what does everyone think?

I haven't forgot about you Moose, I'm just debating pricing because the Pitts is beat up and I'm not sure I should sell it sight unseen to someone. I'd want whomever buys it to see it first so there's no surprises.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Another option would be part out my 20cc Extra and put that gear into a 70" 3dhs Velox or EF Extra. Hmmm what does everyone think?

I haven't forgot about you Moose, I'm just debating pricing because the Pitts is beat up and I'm not sure I should sell it sight unseen to someone. I'd want whomever buys it to see it first so there's no surprises.

That's not a bad idea, however the 70" Velox and Extra are two drastically different planes....

What gear do you have? What is your flying style/goals?

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I have a DLE 20 with a 6v regulator on the ignition with a rexcl opto kill. I have a Spektrum AR8000 in it with 5 hitec 5645s on the surfaces (dual elevator) and a 645 on the throttle. The frame itself breaks everytime I fly it for the first time after a repair which tells me it's time to be retired. The gear was put in halfway through its life span. It was originally glow on standard servos but I upgraded it when my flying style started getting more aggressive.

My goals are to become more proficient with 3d but I've noticed that I tend to put a lot of precision in whenever I can so I really like planes with wide flight envelopes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have a DLE 20 with a 6v regulator on the ignition with a rexcl opto kill. I have a Spektrum AR8000 in it with 5 hitec 5645s on the surfaces (dual elevator) and a 645 on the throttle. The frame itself breaks everytime I fly it for the first time after a repair which tells me it's time to be retired. The gear was put in halfway through its life span. It was originally glow on standard servos but I upgraded it when my flying style started getting more aggressive.

My goals are to become more proficient with 3d but I've noticed that I tend to put a lot of precision in whenever I can so I really like planes with wide flight envelopes.

Sounds to me like that extra would probably be the best bet for you. The Velox has a smaller flight envelope, as it's primarily designed to be a down low 3D hucking machine. I think the gear would transfer over to the extra just fine.
I would suggest posting in the extreme flight extra thread about the gas conversion, as I know many people fly this plane on electric however I think it would be fine on gas.