• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

It's the little things....

pawnshopmike

Staff member
One of the guys in my old clubs AMA number was something like 147. He raced Quickies so his number was on his airplane all the time. Back then mine was 6 digits long starting with the 1674 it is now. I used to see his and think, "wow, he's been at it a while".

He ran the local hobby shop that he opened in 1947. He was a ball turret gunner in a B17 in WWII. Cool old guy that could make anything go fast.

Cool story Doug. I would love to see pics of a 1947 Hobby Shop. I still remember the look, feel and smell of the first hobby shop I set foot in back in the mid 80's. It was a magical experience that is still has its grips on me to this day.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
His first shop was in East St. Louis. He moved to Belleville after that. The shop in Belleville was one of those places where there was stuff crammed in every corner and used planes hanging everywhere.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
His first shop was in East St. Louis. He moved to Belleville after that. The shop in Belleville was one of those places where there was stuff crammed in every corner and used planes hanging everywhere.
Hmm. I was in a Belleville hobby shop back in 88 or 89. Bought a motor for one of my R/C cars. Would that have been his place? I don't remember the name of it. Seems like it was right in downtown Belleville.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hmm. I was in a Belleville hobby shop back in 88 or 89. Bought a motor for one of my R/C cars. Would that have been his place? I don't remember the name of it. Seems like it was right in downtown Belleville.
Little place right on West Main Street called West Side Hobbies. It was right across from Belleville West High School.
I had a connection to the building as well. Before it was West Side Hobbies it was a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Before KFC, it was a restaurant called The Steak Stop owned by my parents. I wasn't even a thought yet though.;)