• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I Need To Vent

Found this article on the WWW. This might help to answer some questions.

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/stag...ts-to-help-the-economic-recovery-buy-american

Frank

Nice Article but not really true...or factual...in todays ever evolving global economy

For example going back to ordering overseas...

Can I ask - do the items from China - A) materialize in your house once pressed 'Enter' when ordering from overseas?? B) You went and collected it...? C) Or the guy from the shop overseas brought it to your door personally?

Or..

Was the item packed and shipped = received into the country by plane/boat...

A US employee took the hold from the plane..

A US employee sorted the hold and placed the items for pickup/customs....checking

A US employee in customs checked the Item for what it was.....possibly being xray'd checking manifest or even opening the box...

A US employee took the parcels items for storage for collection..

A US employee took the items to a national hub

A US employee took the items to a local hub

A US employee took the item and delivered it to your door...

Seems a lot of people in jobs to get a necessary evil to you....

Life isn't about protectionism and thinking that by buying your own...in some way protects the countries economy....it won't - you can argue that by buying home grown products will still need to be shipped around the country....but really it's not the case...and chances are the paper that printed the label came from over seas...as did the printing ink...the machine that moulded the bottle was probably made over seas..and if made in your own country was filled with foreign parts....you just can't nail this down any more it's too big an animal to get your heads round what is domestic and what is overseas produced...

Economies are mismanaged and destroyed by greed and stupidity and paying for stuff not in the public interest....

Not because people are getting things made over seas....that article makes no sense...whatsoever

njswede

150cc

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/stag...ts-to-help-the-economic-recovery-buy-american

Frank

Sorry, but that article is almost entirely wrong. He's basing it on the assumption that the only way to build prosperity is to manufacture stuff and since we manufacture only a fraction of what we did during the 60s, we're doomed. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Case in point: Apple. This is arguably the most successful company on the planet today. Guess how much they manufacture? Nada, zilch, nothing! How come they can make so much money? Because they've focused on the high-value services in the process of getting iPhones and iPads to the consumers. Assembling electronics is relatively low-paid, low-skilled work, so Apple has realized that they don't want to deal with that. Instead, they do the things that nobody else can do, i.e. inventing and designing cool stuff, and charge people good money for it. And that's obviously a VERY successful business model.

There are two basic ways you can make money:
1) Take a natural resource (oil, coal, ore, wood or whatever it may be) out of nature and sell it.
2) Refine a natural resource by building cars, computers and RC planes from them.

What we tend to forget is that designing and inventing things to make from the ore and silicon are very much part of the refinement and tend to be the best paid jobs in that chain.

So why is the US and Europe in a hole right now? Not because we're not manufacturing based, but because our economy is and has been consumption-based rather than production based. What drives the US economy is how much we spend and we artificially inject money into the system to keep spending. We need to start producing again. But producing doesn't necessarily equate manufacturing. It's perfectly fine to invent things, let someone who can do it cheaper build it, and then sell it with a healthy profit. What you produced was the value of the brain power it took to invent and design it. It's perfectly OK to do that!

There's one catch, though: In order to do that you need a well educated workforce. Here in the US, we're constantly falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to educations. And that, my friends, is the main challenge we and our children are facing.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Steve,

I don't believe that to be the case. When I first started this list years ago, I checked with CC and asked them specifically where their products were made. They said some of their components were made outside the US because they simply could not be found here in the US. Can you please verify your source so I can make sure my Made in America list is accurate? Thanks.

EDIT:

I was hoping to see something here to help but I'll keep digging.

http://www.castlecreations.com/information/about-us.html

Frank
Frank,

My 'source' is the product packaguing from castle products. the packaging says:

in bold letters:
Designed in Kansas

followed by in less prominent print:
"Components Manufactured in USA, Mexico and China"

I'm pretty sure i also read somewhere that in reality pretty much all the manufacturing was actually done in China, but I cant 100% verify that.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sorry, but that article is almost entirely wrong. He's basing it on the assumption that the only way to build prosperity is to manufacture stuff and since we manufacture only a fraction of what we did during the 60s, we're doomed. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Case in point: Apple. This is arguably the most successful company on the planet today. Guess how much they manufacture? Nada, zilch, nothing! How come they can make so much money? Because they've focused on the high-value services in the process of getting iPhones and iPads to the consumers. Assembling electronics is relatively low-paid, low-skilled work, so Apple has realized that they don't want to deal with that. Instead, they do the things that nobody else can do, i.e. inventing and designing cool stuff, and charge people good money for it. And that's obviously a VERY successful business model.

There are two basic ways you can make money:
1) Take a natural resource (oil, coal, ore, wood or whatever it may be) out of nature and sell it.
2) Refine a natural resource by building cars, computers and RC planes from them.

What we tend to forget is that designing and inventing things to make from the ore and silicon are very much part of the refinement and tend to be the best paid jobs in that chain.

So why is the US and Europe in a hole right now? Not because we're not manufacturing based, but because our economy is and has been consumption-based rather than production based. What drives the US economy is how much we spend and we artificially inject money into the system to keep spending. We need to start producing again. But producing doesn't necessarily equate manufacturing. It's perfectly fine to invent things, let someone who can do it cheaper build it, and then sell it with a healthy profit. What you produced was the value of the brain power it took to invent and design it. It's perfectly OK to do that!

There's one catch, though: In order to do that you need a well educated workforce. Here in the US, we're constantly falling behind the rest of the world when it comes to educations. And that, my friends, is the main challenge we and our children are facing.

Completely Agree!

Steve_B

70cc twin V2

Frank

And that illustrates my point perfectly.

a quote from the article:
Manufacturing in the U.S. is crucial to the country’s growth. According to the National Association of Manufacturers, around 12 million Americans (nine percent of the workforce) is employed directly in manufacturing. Studies suggest that over 10,000 new jobs would be created if every American spent an extra $3.33 on American-made materials.

The whole focus of the article is manufacturing in the USA. Buying Chinese stuff from a re-seller in the USA is not the same economically as USA manufactured.. not even close to the same, not even the same ballpark. Regardless of where the re-seller is located Chinese manufactured product is Chinese manufactured product and the country that benefits most from your purchase is China.
You would be better doing as I suggested previously; if you cant buy local manufactured product then buy as cheap as possible from wherever and save the cash difference to put toward the purchase of genuine locally manufactured products. That would easily come to the $3.33 that your article mentions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Sorry, but that article is almost entirely wrong.

I'd argue that you do need healthy manufacturing industry. To be fair to the article it said that manufacturing was critical to economic growth but it didn't say growth relied 'only' on manufacturing.
Apple may be cash rich but that profit goes to a few. Apple employ only 60,000 people world wide, that's really not very many at all compared to the 12 million people employed directly in manufacturing in the USA alone. For any economy (and society) to flourish people need to have jobs and earn money. Not everyone can be a director of a company like Apple or the designers of world leading products. IMHO we do need manufacturing.

Last edited by a moderator: