• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I’m going out flying thread 2019

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Where is the DO NOT LIKE Button??!!!
Really sorry to hear about your flying day. Sounded like it was awesome right up to that point...
Yep, fantastic run right up to being a nightmare... lol
I got a few minutes to pull some covering on the fuse, the front of the fuse is bad but the rest is ok enough. I found on AJ's site that they have replacement front ends, they call it the motor box. The other damages were the cowl, pants, and gear cuffs. I order all that stuff from AJ and will get the covering locally when the time comes. The right wing took minor damage, the left wing is more severe but very repairable. Altogether the rebuild will come in under $300 which is far better than a new airframe at $1200. The hardest part is going to be be getting the covering back the same as it will all have to line up with the rudder and cowl. Speaking of cowl, I already have the replacement as I bought a spare with the airframe for when the Valach came out. And this is a good time to swap the engine out being as it is getting all new wood. The GP123 should do quite well in this airframe.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I managed to get in about four hours of flying today with the Laser. Unfortunately during the last flight before packing it in there was a mid air, it is repairable I believe but won't know for sure until I get deeper into it and that is not happening today.

Dangit!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I think the other guy got more pissed because I was more of a "s.h.it happens" attitude. But it does don't it at least sometimes and as I have always told people if you can't afford to lose it don't buy it.
And thanks everyone for the kind words.
Sunday I will begin trying to get all the wood apart, typically some heat will release the joints but I don't know what type they used on it. If it come's apart then I will order the parts from AJ, hopefully I'll be ordering parts and not a new airframe.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I think the other guy got more pissed because I was more of a "s.h.it happens" attitude. But it does don't it at least sometimes and as I have always told people if you can't afford to lose it don't buy it.
Sunday I will begin trying to get all the wood apart, typically some heat will release the joints but I don't know what type they used on it. If it come's apart then I will order the parts from AJ, hopefully I'll be ordering parts and not a new airframe.

One of my flying buddies used to have anger issues when ever he crashed... he crashed a lot. I kept encouraging him with that same mentality. It's hard to be humble and not loose your cool when your beloved plane bites the dust. He will only sulk now, and let out a little mumble. This hobby can teach humility, part of what I love about balsa airplane fliers... we have a lot of respect for the challenge this hobby can bring no matter what skill set you have with it - all while knowing gravity wins sometimes.
I treat every crash scene like an NTSB report. take a few photos and joke about what everyone thinks happened and if there were any survivors.

pawnshopmike

Staff member

I’m like you. I never put anything in the air I’m not willing to lose. I always hate it when someone gets bent out of shape when they lose an airplane. If you can’t handle loss, this may not be the hobby you’re looking for.

BalsaDust

We had a mid air a couple years ago and didn’t know for sure till they landed. We all knew it looked close but did see anything blow apart or hear anything. The two guys landed and one of them had a divit in the top of the wing along with tire marks where the other guy baciallg did a touch n go.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
In SD and Wyo, to doing a lot of flying we learn to fly in very windy conditions. There are a hand full of us that venture out and love to fly in windy conditions. Most around here only fly on the very scarce calm days (Fair Weather pilot's) So they do very little flying. I love flying in the wind here in SD & WYO. Here is a short video of my night vision
Snow is gone and it is hopefully going to be up in the low 50's tomorrow so i am planning to take the E 1500 C-123 Twin Cargo Electic out and fly it off the water on a friends land South of Rapid City in the Morning. Mount my Go Pro camera on the top and shoot some video. Today was nice but a little chilly. Had to trouble shoot a glow plug problem on an old ASV Skid steer for a Friend. Found a broken wire behind the control panel, took a couple hours to find early this morning and it was cold right at sun rise.

Last edited:

Wild man

70cc twin V2
hopefully going out this afternoon as soon as I charge up a few 6c 6000 batteries. That will give me time to install the air scoop and water rudder on my 2.1m C-150 so I can get bask to shore easier LOL!! Early this morning it was little cool but calm and Sunny so I loaded up my Free Wing 90mm F-16 and went down to a small town runway. Talked to the FBO and they let me fly the F-16 went through 3 Admiral Pro 6000mm batteries. The guys at the Airport thought the F-16 was Awesome and were very surprised that the F-16 flew so well. but I did hit a small divot in the runway after one landing and bent the shaft on the nose gear, shock still worked so I made a few more flights. They really thought the Red led's in the tail cone to simulate afterburner were really cool. Tonight I will have to pull the nose gear and try to straighten
the shaft.
C-150.jpg F-16.jpg

Wild man

70cc twin V2
One of my first video's i did with my new Go Pro mounted on top of my 84" Cessna 150. I was having fun doing touch and goes in the snow. With one of Motion RC's Admiral Pro 6000 mah batteries I can get over 15 minute flights,and then some

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Hopefully the first part of next week looks like Clear Ski's and in the 40's. So I am going out and do some more SNOW FLOATING. Here is what is like at the moment Her in Rapid City SD. when over maybe up to a foot of the white stuff
snowday.jpg