• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

HV 7.4 servos vs 6v servos.

Ok, upon doing some servo research for a 104 slick. Iv noticed theres not a big difference between 7.4 and 6v servos spec wise. I guess what I'm trying to ask is the extra $400 in servos justifiable to go the HV route?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok, upon doing some servo research for a 104 slick. Iv noticed theres not a big difference between 7.4 and 6v servos spec wise. I guess what I'm trying to ask is the extra $400 in servos justifiable to go the HV route?

High-voltage servos usually can put out a little bit more torque, however they are also a little bit more efficient on current. This will allow you to get an extra flight or two per charge where as the standard voltage batteries will use a little bit more juice.
Also, using high-voltage servos allows you to use inexpensive 2s LiPo batteries or even the really nice Li-ion batteries, and you don't have to use a regulator. Standard voltage servos usually require a regulator, or using 6.6 life batteries.

3dbandit

100cc
I think it is worth it.

As Gary said, it makes for a cheaper and more simple setup. No regulators to fail when running HV.

If going HV, you can sometimes find servos that are also brushless for a similar price depending on the size or brand of servo you need/want.

For the 104 slick you mentioned, Savox makes the 2270(brushless and HV) which is similar in price to other HV servos.