• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How big before multiple servos on a control?

I have proved to some of my friends, that if a properly set up airframe, say 50cc sized, you don't need 400oz servos, unless you are planning on "future use" of those servos. I set up a stab on a SlipStream SBach 342 on JR 2721's! Barely 150 oz on 6V. I was still able to maintain 45* travels, and have good mechanical geometry with the servos. The owner flys the airplane very fast. Much faster than I care to see one fly at for any length of time. But he has since returned my 2721's and installed 8711's.

I would love to do a "throwback" with old school servos, but on todays radio systems with a nice JR RG PB Rx! :)

Hubb

30cc
Just to throw a penny at the discussion.....Yes, the newer generations of servo make plenty of power to drive a surface, but in my time I have seen many hard points and servo pockets fail. Like stated above choose wisely when deciding to use single servos on large models. make sure the surface and control points are robust enough to handle the load.

SleepyC

150cc
Snapasaurus;747 wrote: We tend to over equip our planes with servos, engines, batteries etc... or most of us do anyway, better safe than sorry.

Don't listen to Snap, his method for balancing an airplane is to put all the batteries in the tail. DONE.

Then again, it has worked perfectly for his flying style.

Ken-H

Centerpunchit!
SleepyC;751 wrote: Don't listen to Snap, his method for balancing an airplane is to put all the batteries in the tail. DONE.

Then again, it has worked perfectly for his flying style.

Haha, and if by chance they did not start there, they'll be in the back by the end of the flight.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Bunky F. Knuckle;828 wrote: He puts the heaviest engine on the nose, and batteries behind the rudder in a special tray.

I remember my first Joe Nall in 2010, I was still flying a mix of glow and 30cc gas when I saw this flight and another where I think he burned 15 gallons of smoke oil in one flight over the pond. Was the most amazing thing I had ever seen an RC plane do.....ever! Thanks for the inspiration snap!

http://youtu.be/fwS7_Nuzboo