• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hobbywing Platinum HV 160A ESC

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Thought I would post this up. I found the new Hobbywing Platinum HV 160A ESC for $319.00.
Everywhere I looked I kept on seeing it for $450 - $470 or so. I have only ever used one other
Hobbywing ESC "the older platinum pro" and it did a great job. Worked very well in my Trex600
DFC with the KDE upgraded motor and HV servos.

87777_1_High.jpg

Bipenut53

150cc
Nice [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION]!! I have used several Hobby Wing ESC's in airplanes and have always been happy. That is a good price for an ESC that size! Good find... Thanks!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Thought I would post this up. I found the new Hobbywing Platinum HV 160A ESC for $319.00.
Everywhere I looked I kept on seeing it for $450 - $470 or so. I have only ever used one other
Hobbywing ESC "the older platinum pro" and it did a great job. Worked very well in my Trex600
DFC with the KDE upgraded motor and HV servos.

View attachment 37462

Jeez! That's a lot of money for a Hobbywing ESC. Why so expensive? An equivalent ZTW Gecko is about half that price.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
I don't make the prices dude. :confused: Why don't you give those fella's a call and ask them, then come back and tell us all what the deal is. :p

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I ofter wonder the same thing @Bloosee. Often times it seems quality, service and reputation rule the price guides. I think of DA as I am writing this. Now DLE and others in the category of products are very close in performance in my humble unbiased unfunboy opinion but for a much lower more affordable price. Sometimes a product seems priced just because of it's history and perception of product performance. I think back to when I bought my first and last brand new Mercedes from the dealership (after being ignored at the BMW dealership, maybe it was the torn jeans and flip flops I was wearing, IDK). I took it home, marveled at it's sleek lines, beautiful wheels, AMG badging and killer sound system, all the bells and whistles that I knew would make me the envy of the neighborhood and then I found the door vin tag and saw "Made in Mexico"! Wait (insert sound of screeching tires), what???? Mexico!!! A few curse words came to mind. I expected this thing to be made in Germany, while someone played "Looking for freedom" by David Hasselhoff in the background!

Ok to the point.... buy what is proven in your eyes, has the qualities that are important to you and at a price that you would consider to be a value. My scale is simple.... on the left side is my expectations required for the performance I want and on the right side is the least expensive product that meets the left side requirements.

Gotta go! Breaking News "Justin Bieber Exposes The Truth Behind All Of His Tattoos"! What has this world come to.... :facepalm:

Notes and disclaimers...
No I don't have anything against Mexico
No I don't have anything against Mercedes and yes David Hasselhoff is a tool!
No I don't have anything against DA... they are beautiful high performance reliable motors!
If you still have found a reason to be mad at anything I said....Have a great day but go find another site... I hate having to be PC and it's my site so I can say what I want.
All said with a smile and no ill will.... just having fun and getting tired of the stupid news and how King Solomon was right... everything is meaningless!

Bipenut53

150cc
I ofter wonder the same thing @Bloosee. Often times it seems quality, service and reputation rule the price guides. I think of DA as I am writing this. Now DLE and others in the category of products are very close in performance in my humble unbiased unfunboy opinion but for a much lower more affordable price. Sometimes a product seems priced just because of it's history and perception of product performance. I think back to when I bought my first and last brand new Mercedes from the dealership (after being ignored at the BMW dealership, maybe it was the torn jeans and flip flops I was wearing, IDK). I took it home, marveled at it's sleek lines, beautiful wheels, AMG badging and killer sound system, all the bells and whistles that I knew would make me the envy of the neighborhood and then I found the door vin tag and saw "Made in Mexico"! Wait (insert sound of screeching tires), what???? Mexico!!! A few curse words came to mind. I expected this thing to be made in Germany, while someone played "Looking for freedom" by David Hasselhoff in the background!

Ok to the point.... buy what is proven in your eyes, has the qualities that are important to you and at a price that you would consider to be a value. My scale is simple.... on the left side is my expectations required for the performance I want and on the right side is the least expensive product that meets the left side requirements.

Gotta go! Breaking News "Justin Bieber Exposes The Truth Behind All Of His Tattoos"! What has this world come to.... :facepalm:

Notes and disclaimers...
No I don't have anything against Mexico
No I don't have anything against Mercedes and yes David Hasselhoff is a tool!
No I don't have anything against DA... they are beautiful high performance reliable motors!
If you still have found a reason to be mad at anything I said....Have a great day but go find another site... I hate having to be PC and it's my site so I can say what I want.
All said with a smile and no ill will.... just having fun and getting tired of the stupid news and how King Solomon was right... everything is meaningless!

Well put Mike, especially the disclaimers... I couldnt agree more! .... I will input here, I remember a day when HiTec servos were considered "Those cheap servos, but they will do" Now they are in the same price range as the other name brand servos because of perceived value...

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Well put Mike, especially the disclaimers... I couldnt agree more! .... I will input here, I remember a day when HiTec servos were considered "Those cheap servos, but they will do" Now they are in the same price range as the other name brand servos because of perceived value...

Oh no, Xpress may be weighing in here.... Only perceived value? Not actual value?

BTW, I am a Jeti fan, that stuff is REALLY expensive, a lot of it has to do with the fact it's not made in China. Manufacturing in Europe has to be much more costly. The Mezon ESC's are in the $300 or more price range but they do offer a wide range of built in telemetry parameters when paired with a Jeti TX.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Of course actual value but that seems to not be a guide for these manufacturers when pricing except in rare cases! :)

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
I think popularity seems to drive the price more than any other factor. IMO... Just look at the history and you can see the trends.

So this guy (we'll call him Bob) When Bob makes this propeller out of recycled plastic and finds that his design is producing performance numbers almost as good as say a Xoar or Falcon and is out trying to sell it, but isn't getting anywhere with it. Then out at the field one day he starts talking with some dude about it and the dude trys it out and really likes it. Well Bob doesn't realize it's some well known pro RC Pilot and say's hey man lets see if my sponsor will sell this for you. So Bob say's ok and now because this prop has the backing of the pro pilot and some well known hobby shop it suddenly starts flying off the shelf like mad, I mean they cant even keep up with demand and it's out selling the Xoar/Falcon.

Does any of this sound familiar? I know this is a bit out there, but not to far off is it. Just Saying!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bipenut53

150cc
Oh no, Xpress may be weighing in here.... Only perceived value? Not actual value?

BTW, I am a Jeti fan, that stuff is REALLY expensive, a lot of it has to do with the fact it's not made in China. Manufacturing in Europe has to be much more costly. The Mezon ESC's are in the $300 or more price range but they do offer a wide range of built in telemetry parameters when paired with a Jeti TX.

Ok yes perceived value, everything has a perceived value until you receive it and actually use it, then the true value shows through. I am a person that I gotta see it to believe it. I understand where you are coming from [MENTION=2902]Bloosee[/MENTION] and I wish things were different in our hobby, but lets face it, most things that are mass produced come from China. Not all things that come out of China are bad. One example that shows very well is the Extreme Flight team. They are willing to put in the time to go there, inspect, watch and change the way their airplanes are produced, in turn they cost a little more than that el cheapo airframe "built in China" that gives you the perceived value coming from China to be poor quality, and is. It all comes down from the company who is having their product mass produced, they are always saying make it as cheap as possible and that is what they get el cheapo product. Its not all the fault of the China factories.

And when a product that started out as a less expensive alternative to that over priced products and have proven themselves, like HiTec and Hobby Wing, they can start to raise their prices, again because of perceived quality is better.