• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

i’m really enjoying the MOTROLFLY DM-5335 motor with the ztw 150 esc but on two occasions i have lost timing. both times were right on take off when someone “punched “ the throttle. both times i had a low idle rpm set and when the throttle was punched everyone hear a loud screeching sound. if the throttle is dropped to zero and then replaced in a slower fashion everything is fine. i really can’t seem to simulate it with static testing but it has me worried because if it happens when punching out of a hover it will result in a crash. so far i have increased my low idle rpm which someone suggested to help it maintain timing. the other thing i’m considering is changing the timing on the ztw from the default auto setting to either high or low timing which are the other two choices. i was wondering if anyone had tested those settings and could tell me before i try it. if not i’ll try it and let you guys know the results.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
i’m really enjoying the MOTROLFLY DM-5335 motor with the ztw 150 esc but on two occasions i have lost timing. both times were right on take off when someone “punched “ the throttle. both times i had a low idle rpm set and when the throttle was punched everyone hear a loud screeching sound. if the throttle is dropped to zero and then replaced in a slower fashion everything is fine. i really can’t seem to simulate it with static testing but it has me worried because if it happens when punching out of a hover it will result in a crash. so far i have increased my low idle rpm which someone suggested to help it maintain timing. the other thing i’m considering is changing the timing on the ztw from the default auto setting to either high or low timing which are the other two choices. i was wondering if anyone had tested those settings and could tell me before i try it. if not i’ll try it and let you guys know the results.

A club member has the exact same issue but with the Hacker Q80/Castle ESC combination. Screeches on takeoff and looses power, he needs to quickly zero the throttle and then power up again. He's says the same, losing the timing.

tobydogs

New to GSN!
wow,what a bummer. i built a sig smith mini and have a build thread over at wattflyer. i used the ztw gecko 85ampesc with a eflite power 46. the motor cogs with quick motor throttle. i just purchased this ztw through altitude hobby and am glad to have found this thread when i googled "ztw gecko problems" and see they are actively pursuing a correction to the problem. i must say,if it has this on going problem i wish i hadn't bought in nov when it was not performing properly with the motofly motors.

add eflites to the problem. i really am glad when i first heard the cog during the second flight it survived for further bench testing. the gecko esc programing card works great. to bad it was another $16 expense i would have not needed if i spent the extra $40 to use a castle ice like i have in all my other larger birds in the hanger.....i just figured ZTW was worth a try. hope to hear a email reply from altitude monday. stu

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
wow,what a bummer. i built a sig smith mini and have a build thread over at wattflyer. i used the ztw gecko 85ampesc with a eflite power 46. the motor cogs with quick motor throttle. i just purchased this ztw through altitude hobby and am glad to have found this thread when i googled "ztw gecko problems" and see they are actively pursuing a correction to the problem. i must say,if it has this on going problem i wish i hadn't bought in nov when it was not performing properly with the motofly motors.

add eflites to the problem. i really am glad when i first heard the cog during the second flight it survived for further bench testing. the gecko esc programing card works great. to bad it was another $16 expense i would have not needed if i spent the extra $40 to use a castle ice like i have in all my other larger birds in the hanger.....i just figured ZTW was worth a try. hope to hear a email reply from altitude monday. stu

I have the Gecko 85A/MF 4315 combo in my 57 Extra and it works great, but the 150HV/MF4330 does not work correcty, such a mystery and want a nightmare for Altitude Hobbies and ZTW. I feel bad for Altitude.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I have the Gecko 85A/MF 4315 combo in my 57 Extra and it works great, but the 150HV/MF4330 does not work correcty, such a mystery and want a nightmare for Altitude Hobbies and ZTW. I feel bad for Altitude.

+1000 [MENTION=52]AltitudeHobbies[/MENTION] has been going above and beyond to help in the situation!

tobydogs

New to GSN!
i have no worries garret will set things right. He has a good reputation both here at 3drc and wattflyer. i wouldn't care so much experimenting with programing this esc with new firm wear but the smith mini is an old style kit build and i spent the time to design her for light conversion to electric flight so i might switch out of another planes castle 100amp esc and install the hopefully repaired ztw in an arf.a few pictures of the mini and a couple of my more aerobatic birds i fly that let's folks here know i love 3d flying also.

DSCN2066.JPGDSCN2051.JPGDSCN1944.JPG

The firmware Tim sent for the 85A Gecko fixed my issues with the MF I would imagine it it will fix your issues with the eflite, symptoms sound the same.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
The firmware Tim sent for the 85A Gecko fixed my issues with the MF I would imagine it it will fix your issues with the eflite, symptoms sound the same.

How do you actually go about updating the firmware? I think that would be useful information this thread.