• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

gyro

GSN Contributor
I use powerpoles so I don't need a adapter. I hook one batteries red to the others black and then hook the other two connector up to the ESC. Do I crimp it into the red on the ESC connector and hook the red up first?

Yes, that would work fine from my experience:

AKfreak

150cc
Hey, everyone -- I just wanted to chime in and let you guys know I have contacted ZTW about this issue. I'm hopeful they can identify the problem and release a firmware update to fix it. I will report back when I find out more from them. In the meantime, we'd be willing to take back 120A OPTOS and exchange them for 150A OPTO for the $10 different in price, no matter if they are new in box or used. Contact us at support@altitudehobbies.com.

Garret

That is how you take care of Business. I'll send mine off to you with a copy of this and $10bucks and $5 more the help shipping. AKf

AKfreak

150cc
Just finished he install of the Castle Ice V2 80HV with 3.27 version firmware. All I will say is night and day. This is exactly how I am use to electric motors responding. Ill let you know how it compares to the ZTW Opto 150HV real soon.

I looked at the diagram some more. If I need to charge the capacitors, then I need to do it at 50V. I think I am going to make a extension for the red wire coming off the top pack. I will plug the two pack together first, then plug in the black to the ESC. Next plug in the extension which has the extra wire crimped in, into the red wire. Then plug this extension into the ESC. This will allow me to use my block connectors on both the ESC connection, and the extra two connection (battery to battery, and this extension) which will add safety from getting unplugged. If I wire my BEC into the adapter as well, then I can power the plane without arming the motor. Have to look at the wiring when I get to that point.

AKfreak

150cc
I looked at the diagram some more. If I need to charge the capacitors, then I need to do it at 50V. I think I am going to make a extension for the red wire coming off the top pack. I will plug the two pack together first, then plug in the black to the ESC. Next plug in the extension which has the extra wire crimped in, into the red wire. Then plug this extension into the ESC. This will allow me to use my block connectors on both the ESC connection, and the extra two connection (battery to battery, and this extension) which will add safety from getting unplugged. If I wire my BEC into the adapter as well, then I can power the plane without arming the motor. Have to look at the wiring when I get to that point.

I am wondering which diagram do speak of?

AKfreak

150cc
So here is my findings on the Castle Ice2 80HV (fw 3.27) Vs the Gecko 100HV (fw. stock). First off, the throttle response is now correct (incredible actually), but I took almost a 300 watt hit in power. I can still load the motor with a more aggressive prop fore more power, because I am currently only drawing 58 amps. That is with the recommended 20x8 prop (Xoar). However, I will surely be exchanging the ZTW 120HV for the 150HV based on the extremely generous offer from Altitude Hobby's. It's then I hope to achieve the power AND throttle response I am looking for.

Here it a short video showing the Castle ESC in action (2500 watts)
[video=youtube_share;8O6cPbkc_-k]http://youtu.be/8O6cPbkc_-k[/video]

And for comparison the ZTW (2800 watts)
[video=youtube_share;rKthYmWHutE]http://youtu.be/rKthYmWHutE[/video]

AKfreak

150cc
I changed all that I know, fixed end point, down graded fw to 3.27, response fast, no bake, auto lipo 3.2. I didn't adjust the timing.

Are you saying I can squeeze more power with ESC settings?