• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help us make an Old man smile

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I've converted two old nitro planes to electric and working on my third conversion as I type. It is always a struggle to balance the plane without having to add dead weight (which I absolutely refuse to do, especially on an electric). So here's some tips.

Mount the ESC as far forward on the motor box as possible. Which as @ChickenBalls said will also help on cooling.

Mount the battery on the underside of the plane as far forward as possible (but save this step for last to balance it out). On my first conversion I had to make an extended battery mount that actually extended out past the firewall about 1/2".

On my 2nd conversion which was a tricycle, I added a 1/2" spacer block to extend the nose gear forward. That was a big help.

I also used a Great Planes adjustable motor mount which allowed me to fine tune the balance by sliding the motor back and forth.

And obviously mount the receiver as far forward as possible.

Using all these tricks helped me hit the CG mark without adding any dead weight.
image.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
One of the guys at the previous field I flew at did this on 5 of these sticks....Yes, 5!!! Why 5? Cuz he crashed the previous 4 before it.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
One of the guys at the previous field I flew at did this on 5 of these sticks....Yes, 5!!! Why 5? Cuz he crashed the previous 4 before it.

I've assembled 5 .60size Escapades for Herb. I laugh about the 3rd crash, I was coming back with the remains, and he says, Donnie I think you should land them from now on. We still have 2 Escapades, but using equipment from one, for this Stick. #4 Escapade is getting beat up, and starting to show battle scares. He gets froggy every now and then, and wants to try to land, we let him, it usually ends in lots of laughs, and me ordering another plane. He's having fun, and we love watching him have fun

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've assembled 5 .60size Escapades for Herb. I laugh about the 3rd crash, I was coming back with the remains, and he says, Donnie I think you should land them from now on. We still have 2 Escapades, but using equipment from one, for this Stick. #4 Escapade is getting beat up, and starting to show battle scares. He gets froggy every now and then, and wants to try to land, we let him, it usually ends in lots of laughs, and me ordering another plane. He's having fun, and we love watching him have fun

You're one of a kind Donnie. Good on ya!!:way_to_go::way_to_go::way_to_go:

emtp275

100cc

Inverted Half Cuban at full Throttle my Fav herb move!!

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"

Inverted half Cuban at full throttle my fav Herb move

I thought the plane was gonna rip apart Remember that when you gluing those wings together:lol2:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A Rimfire 80 on 6S in that plane should be INSANE ! ! ! ! !...:eek: Sounds like my kind of setup........:laughing: I converted my last H9 Ultrastick 120 Lite to electric by putting a Rimfire 1.60 on it and running it on 12S. What a blast that plane was to fly.

Reading threads about things like this really brighten up my day. You guys doing this encompasses one of the main reasons I love this hobby so much. The willingness for some people to help out another flyer is inspiring. If I could reach across this website and shake your hand, I would.

David

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
A Rimfire 80 on 6S in that plane should be INSANE ! ! ! ! !...:eek: Sounds like my kind of setup........:laughing: I converted my last H9 Ultrastick 120 Lite to electric by putting a Rimfire 1.60 on it and running it on 12S. What a blast that plane was to fly.

Reading threads about things like this really brighten up my day. You guys doing this encompasses one of the main reasons I love this hobby so much. The willingness for some people to help out another flyer is inspiring. If I could reach across this website and shake your hand, I would.

David
Its a quick set up on his Escapade Ice 100- rimfire 80-6s 5000, and he has 2 speeds Take off and landing, I have to let off the buddy box switch just to catch up to the plane myself sometimes, he can make a airframe scream.

That's what it's all about David, paying it forward, its very rewarding. Specially with Mr. Herb, he forgets after about 5 flights, and thinks he just soloed on the 6th flight, so the rewards just keep coming.:LOL_gif: (Kidding)

@emtp275 here are those pics of the Alpha 60 trainer hatch. I know it will be difficult to match this craftsmanship

Attachments

• DSCF3729.JPG
    DSCF3729.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF3733.JPG
    DSCF3733.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 136