• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool Hangin’ in the Hangar

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Great thread idea @WMcNabb !

Some years ago I purchased a collection of planes, parts, etc. and in the pile were two Byron Pitts airframes. Neither were salvageable but there were enough parts to use to scratch build a new airframe if you wanted to do that. A gentleman in Texas asked me if I'd set it aside for him and he'd pick it all up when he was in the area a couple of months later.
When he arrived he gathered up the parts, I think I gave them to him, and as a thank you he handed me a framed collection of photos and F-35 team medallions that I think were from the team (he had been on it as a Lockheed employee) that prototyped and flew the first airframes. I was in awe and it's a prized possession of mine now.

f35 framed pics.jpg

Last edited:

WMcNabb

150cc
Great thread idea @WMcNabb !

Some years ago I purchased a collection of planes, parts, etc. and in the pile were two Byron Pitts airframes. Neither were salvageable but there were enough parts to use to scratch build a new airframe if you wanted to do that. A gentleman in Texas asked me if I'd set it aside for him and he'd pick it all up when he was in the area a couple of months later.
When he arrived he gathered up the parts, I think I gave them to him, and as a thank you he handed me a framed collection of photos and F-35 team medallions that I think were from the team that prototyped and flew the first airframes. I was in awe and it's a prized possession of mine now.

View attachment 107270
Very nice Bart. Prized possession for sure!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What an amazing thread idea. So many awesome pieces of history and near and dear to the heart reasons to smile. I'm anxious to see more posts from everyone. Thank you for starting this. In the spirit of thing, I'd like to submit a gift my kids gave me a few years back. It hangs above the fireplace and tele in the living room.
15442470043591105425656654770041.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Dang Wade,
What an AWESOME idea for a thread. . . . . :yesss:. It's too bad I don't have anything like the cool stuff I have seen posted here to share with you fella's. . . . . . :(. My dad joined the Air Force right after the Korean War. He wanted to be a jet pilot, but when they told him he was too tall to fit in the cockpit, he left the Airforce when his time was up. He never talked about it much when he was alive so I don't know very much more than that.
My dad and uncle were engineers and worked for Boeing, Rockwell, etc. They both worked on the Saturn 5 project. This is a real reduced sketch of one of his drawings.

He gave it to my son, we need to get it framed. View attachment 107213
Hey David,

Drawings like that just blow me away. I started out hand drawing in my early drafting days and I had seen other drawings with that kind of exceptional details. It's so sad that the age of computers and 3D modeling have made drawings like that obsolete. But to me, they will never be out of date.

As promised earlier today, the only aviation related item “allowed” in the house.
A painting of my great uncle’s Staggerwing hanging in the hallway, completed sometime in the late 30’s.

View attachment 107216
Now THAT is what you call a beautiful aircraft. . . . . :big_yes:

WMcNabb

150cc
What an amazing thread idea. So many awesome pieces of history and near and dear to the heart reasons to smile. I'm anxious to see more posts from everyone. Thank you for starting this. In the spirit of thing, I'd like to submit a gift my kids gave me a few years back. It hangs above the fireplace and tele in the living room.
View attachment 107273

My wife learned to fly in a Piper Cherokee 140. She went on to become a corporate jet pilot (now retired). A ways back I built a model for her birthday of the same Cherokee ....even managed to squeeze her in beside it! Found a nice plastic dome to keep the dust off.
View attachment 107274 View attachment 107275

Both of these are works of art, in every sense of the term. Thanks for sharing!

I’m amazed at the interest this thread has generated, and appreciate both the kind words and all who have posted here!