• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Engine arrived. Mounted just for the Sukhoi member's enjoyment here. Very clean 170 at a great price, I am very happy. More photos in the near future.

Attachments

• 1st engine photo.jpg
    1st engine photo.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 312

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sooooo...... I've discovered having a new 3w 170 sitting too close to look at can cause ya to do silly things. Laboring over a decision for a new airframe for this awesome motor is just too much for me to control myself. I was thinking, "hmm, I would really like to see how this bad boy runs". (Although I flew it before I bought it and holy moly what a beast) I still wanted to see what it would do on my own airframe. Since no decision on a new home for it has not been reached, I figured..."Hey, maybe one of my already flying rides"? Since the 260 already has a rockin' 3 dub (157cs) yankin' it around like a rag dollie, Maybe the PAU? Naa....too small. :spongebob:

Likely candidate? The 42% Sukhoi would be best suited. Now with the Suk already being outfitted with the GP 176 Evo, it was a tough decision. But what the heck? Why not???

So off with the GP and on with the 3W. Since the nose of the Sukhoi is readily and very capable of a variety of power plants, I figured this would be one very easy engine swap. And I was right. Plug the previously drilled holes with epoxied wooden dowels... measure and redrill for the 3dub and mount it all up. I really like accurate information. Thrust alignment lines on the motor matched "PERFECTLY" with the thrust lines on the firewall!

A few hours later and I was ready to fire that bad boy up. Oh yeah, nothing wrong with this decision I can say already.

20150423_192328.jpg
20150423_192346.jpg

Since I had her apart, I figured it was time for a few amenities. I hated the stock wheels it came with, so off with the crappy and on with a brand new set of "skins". I also really like the @Taildraggerrc multiplex connectors on the ailerons, so I added them to the elevators as well.

20150424_162856.jpg

I even had some modest 3W decals I added to the cowl. Since I really don't want to "dirty" up this airframe with a ton of decals, they were just what the doctor ordered.

20150423_225529.jpg
20150424_213448.jpg

Since changing out the exhaust "before" the engine swap and considering the difference of the 3W verses the GP, I figured a rebalance was in order. Not really much of a change to speak of. But I did move my flight packs back just a tad to get just a teensy more tail weight balance. I am so jacked to get her back in the air. Looks to be a Hucking kind of day Sunday.:yesss:

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Good looking engine and great photos. Enjoy the 3W.
Thank you. I've put four flights on it with the new 3W. The Sukhoi is now at peace with itself. It loves the power. It loves the even smooth balance of low end grunt and top end performance. Needless to say, I am very pleased. The 3W will stay right where she is.

Thank you. I've put four flights on it with the new 3W. The Sukhoi is now at peace with itself. It loves the power. It loves the even smooth balance of low end grunt and top end performance. Needless to say, I am very pleased. The 3W will stay right where she is.
How come you took out the GP176EVO?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
How come you took out the GP176EVO?
I wanted a 3W for the project when I first planned it all. I wanted to do something different and started looking at other options. I should have just bought the 3Dub to begin with. I love the 157 on my 260 and that should have been testament enough to me.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Has anyone installed a choke servo on their Sukhoi? Looking for photos and not finding any.

Thx

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I am thinking of parting with my sukhoi. I haven't really paid much attention to RC for the last year, I am building a house, and I am trying to find out what it's worth. It has a da170 and re3s. Jr 8911 servos. Everything was new when I built this plane. I think I flew it once or twice last year is all and I can't stand to see it sit there. So what do you guys think it's worth?