• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Oh I have no doubt. Trust and believe I've looked them over. But here is my logic. Numbers are what makes it for me.
HS7950TH 486 in oz @ 7.4=.13 transit speed $130.00 ea. 24 tooth spline
HS7990TH 611 in oz @ 7.4=.17 transit speed $140.00 (magnetic encoder for fudge proof centering and accuracy) 24 tooth spline
Hitec HSB9380 472 in oz @ 7.4=.14 transit speed $180.00 (slower transit than 7950 and only .03 faster than the 7990, cost more per servo) 25 tooth spline
They use about the same amount of power as the 7950, fit in the same size servo slot/bay, have the capability of lasting 5 times longer than the 7950. Ok so I'll be dead before they wear out. Lol. Seriously, I've looked at them. I'll never change from Hitec servos as long as I get the results, programmability, pricing and servicing from them that I do. I just can't justify spending more money and having less torque and less accuracy as well as having to spend even more money for 25 tooth spline arms. Will say this though. If my 7950's ever go out of warranty and die, I'll look at the 9380's. But for all my big birds from now on, (since I put them on the 129" Yak rudder) they'll all get the 990's.

I do have to add this side note. The 7990's are so quiet...even through travel that you have to watch them to be sure they are even moving.

Last edited:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Oh I have no doubt. Trust and believe I've looked them over. But here is my logic. Numbers are what makes it for me.
HS7950TH 486 in oz @ 7.4=.13 transit speed $130.00 ea. 24 tooth spline
HS7990TH 611 in oz @ 7.4=.17 transit speed $140.00 (magnetic encoder for fudge proof centering and accuracy) 24 tooth spline
Hitec HSB9380 472 in oz @ 7.4=.14 transit speed $180.00 (slower transit than 7950 and only .03 faster than the 7990, cost more per servo) 25 tooth spline
They use about the same amount of power as the 7950, fit in the same size servo slot/bay, have the capability of lasting 5 times longer than the 7950. Ok so I'll be dead before they wear out. Lol. Seriously, I've looked at them. I'll never change from Hitec servos as long as I get the results, programmability, pricing and servicing from them that I do. I just can't justify spending more money and having less torque and less accuracy as well as having to spend even more money for 25 tooth spline arms. Will say this though. If my 7950's ever go out of warranty and die, I'll look at the 9380's. But for all my big birds from now on, (since I put them on the 129" Yak rudder) they'll all get the 990's.

I do have to add this side note. The 7990's are so quiet...even through travel that you have to watch them to be sure they are even moving.

The HSB-9380TH is a lot more precise, accurate, has more holding power, and draws way less current than the HS-7950TH. It's better in every way than the 7950- the only thing the HS-M7990TH has over the HSb-9380TH is the torque value and I'd be willing to bet the 9380 will give the 7990 a run for its money ;)

The one thing the numbers won't tell you is the sheer power inside of the HSB servos. Unlike a coreless servo that will fade in power and torque as the load increases, the HSB motors do not fade or slow down, they will continue to push as the same speed until the load exceeds the servos stall torque rating (if you stall an HSB servo, the current draw actually drops to very little as the design requires very little current to stay in one place). Infact, we've had to dial back the motor power in the HSB servos because of how powerful it actually is. We could have made the 9380 an 800 oz/in servo if we wanted to but the case and geartrain wouldn't handle that kind of load. A coreless servo will push as hard as it can but as the load increases, the motor is forced to slow down because it lacks the power required to continue driving at the same speed (this also causes the current draw to increase significantly). This actually can make the brushless servos faster as they drive the control surface at a constant speed no matter what load you impart upon it.

The 7950 is going to slow down as it reaches its 486oz/in rating, the 9380 drives at the same speed until it hits the 472oz/in rating all the while drawing a lot less current and moving ore precisely/smoothly :yesss:

If you're gonna set up another airplane then I'd say go for it all and get the HSB-9380TH's. No need to fix something that's not broken :cool:

FYI, Tower Hobbies is having a sale on a lot of Hitec gear!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LW4331&P=1

:banana-dance:

Last edited:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A few wires and controls going in.

20170101_124758.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Forgot that an old servo installed just to operate the throttle wasn't high voltage. I think this one is a goner.

20170101_214016.jpg
20170101_214002.jpg

Last edited: