• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

mbacosa

30cc
Thank you Doug for dragging me over to this new thread!! I can tell you that I am very happy with the 150 on pipes. I have 12.5 headers on JTEC pipes. Completely linear throttle. Not quite the top end on the ground but the power on an upline with a 30X13 Falcon is damn impressive. It never loses RPM. Just keeps tractoring. Love it!! Here is my Sukhoi!! I have since added the Graphtec gear since these pictures were taken.

5357=1940-004.jpg
5357=1940-004.jpg
5357=1941-2014040695085314.jpg
5357=1941-2014040695085314.jpg

Super08

70cc twin V2
Who knows I may even leave it on if I like it. I have to repair the three holes that hold the cowl to the cowl brace too. The vibration off of the 170 has worn them quite bad, even with bonded washers.

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
stangflyer;5227 wrote: Really like what you have done to your Sukhoi. Brought mine out to the building table this morning. I will begin by laying all the wiring inside. I "REALLY" like the louvers on the cowl and the can tunnel. Where did you get them? Also, your paint looks as though it matches perfectly. Is it a Hangar 9 color? Or did you have it custom matched? Looking forward to yours as well as everyone else's input during this build. Thanks.....

I bought the louvers from taildragger RC and painted them with Krylon Fusion orange spray paint.

http://www.taildraggerrc.com/cooling-fin-for-airplane-cowl-4-3-4-x-4-cooling-louver/.

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
lazyboyflyer;6134 wrote: My setup is similar to Mike's, but I have RE 3s for pipes. Plenty of power and great power band.

Yeh, mine started life with a DA-150 on RE3's, but in the spring of 2013 I got a smoking deal on a DA-170.

The DA-170, 14" headers, and RE3's are unbelievable power.

The DA-150 / RE3's with a Vess carbon 32C turned 6,000rpm.

The DA-170 / RE3's withe the same prop turns 6500rpm.

Mustang Man

New to GSN!
I made it over here to stay informed. Will start my second H9 Sukhoi 26 3.1 meter build this winter to replace the first one which died from a spin to a snap on pull out. The pilot survived but quit. I will hire a new pilot when it's finished.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I was thinking maybe it would be good to start a list of the little tweaks and odd and ends to assembling/maintaining this airframe. A Readers Digest version of the original build thread. Everyone can just copy the list and add to it as necessary. Thia airframe has been out for several years now and has an impressive track record for build quality and execellent OEM supplied hardware. I'm sure there are some that I am forgetting, but here's a start.

1. Discard the OEM wheels and tailwheels and replace.

2. Harden the cowl mounting wood tabs to prevent crushing.

3. Use neoprene backed washers for the cowl mounting bolts.

4. Add glue/reglue canopy front latch/hooks and tabs.

5. Inspect/glue wing anti-rotation pins.