• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

GWS C-47 Skytrain

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Got tired a week at so ago of the green fuse, so took a few minutes before bed one evening and put decals on. The stock set only has emblem for wing bottom, none on top. So I used the stock to make a template and painted my own. The blue is wrong, but in the air, can't tell. I used Testors gloss blue as that's the only foam safe blue I had.

Last weekend mounted the cowls and epoxied in the motor mounts. Had to cut the sticks down so the motors weren't sticking all the way out.

Now to program ESCes, install electronics, pushrods, and balance her.

IMG_20150322_210027.jpg

IMG_20150330_014221.jpg

IMG_20150322_210155.jpg

IMG_20150322_210116.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Ready for maiden. Just going to move the CG back to 60mm as that seems to be most successful through the years. Stock she balances with the 3S 2200mAh pack at the front of the recommended range ( 50-55mm).

IMG_20150419_150545.jpg

rcdude07

70cc twin V2

Thanks, we'll see what everyone says after I get the maiden flight video up. Definitely going to get someone to record the maiden flight. I tell you, she's creating quite a buzz on the various forums I've posted pics on.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Maiden flight video! CG at 60mm and LG bent out towards LE with a scale like ROG, she had no ill tendencies other than what appears a drift to the right on the ground.

[video=vimeo;126797909]http://vimeo.com/126797909[/video]

SnowDog

hey hey awesome news! really glad to see that plane fly...looks like it flew ok...perhaps a bit nose heavy?

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
hey hey awesome news! really glad to see that plane fly...looks like it flew ok...perhaps a bit nose heavy?

Stock CG is 50-55mm, I moved mine to 60mm per many more successful stories on the webs with a 60mm CG. She flew really well, surprisingly well. So many "this plane is crap" stories out there, I'm trying to share and show my positive experience.

Here's the only pics of the day prior to the maiden, and then one after the prop broke while taxiing back after the second flight.

100_6522.JPG 100_6520.JPG 100_6518.JPG 100_6516.JPG 100_6521.JPG 100_6519.JPG 100_6517.JPG 100_6515.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
My Gooneybird is in a GWS contest to win an F-15 kit. Help me out by going to Grand Wing System US on Facebook, like them, then vote for the C-47 with GI Joes doing field work. First place is an F-15 kit with servos, second place an F-15 kit, and one random voter will get an F-15 kit too. You can vote daily, maybe even twice daily, to increase your chances. Voting ends 11:59pm on July 4th.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Flew my GWS C-47 at Warbirds Over Dixie today. After one flight I was stopped and a fellow pilot was asking the usual questions. The man beside him, his dad, proceeds to tell me the uniqueness of jumping out of a C-47 and due to the location of the horizontal stab the deaths that happened. He proceeded to tell me he was a paratrooper and jumped out of them and C-119's during Korea. He pointed out some non-scale things on the plane, which I understood and explained stand off scale and choices to make a model fly better. As he told me more stories, he would stop, get emotional, and tell me he was trying to remember more. He thanked me for flying it today, although it's painted in WWII invasion colors. I told him it was I who was thankful and that I fly r/c warbirds in their memory and honor.