• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

rarcdon

30cc
Appreciate the offer. It seems odd that they would leave the needles set, or at least don't want them touched unless absolutely needed. I guess they are thinking someone might get them way off and have more issues than needed. I usually like my planes fine tuned, although I get lazy and just let it ride for the sake of flying, but really nothing like a fine tuned engine. I may just wait until you get that one going again and see what happens. BTW, how long did it take to get the carb mod turned around with DA?

Glad you got the cans. I think that is what I am running, but I forgot to check the last time I had the 120 out.

The total turnaround was about 10 days. All they wanted was the carb and a service request form. I might go ahead put it back in my original EF 110 Yak with the KS 3086 cans to check it out. Then I'll have a good head to head comparison with Yak#2 that you've seen.

capthis

70cc twin V2
I just got my DA 120 back from DA with all the updates completed. Maybe I'll find some motivation to finish this POS 1,100.00 dollar plane.....

I had them put the red carb plate on my engine and I know they did the carb mod as well as changing out the pistons, etc.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm waiting for it to stop raining on Sundays so I can fly mine again. Looks like rain all day this Sunday again.:(

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It turned out to be a gorgeous day here today, so I spent all morning and part of the afternoon at the field. With a little tweaking the DA120 is running better all the time. The surge is still there, but getting better as it breaks in. Leaning the low end helped, and narrowed the the spot in the throttle where the surge happens. It's had about a gallon and a half of fuel through it and it's running really good now.

The DA120 is a hungry little devil. I've had several 10 minute flights that have only had a few ounces left in the 32 ounce tank when I landed. The last flight today, with the tune closer had more than a 1/4 tank left, so I think it's getting a little better. My buddy Tony's 120 doesn't use anywhere near as much.

With the power and acceleration of the 120 getting much better, the airplane is much more fun to fly. I'm going to go through the Peter Goldsmith trimming guide and see if I can't get it to fly a bit better. It needs a bit of help in an upline, it pulls really hard to the left so it takes a bunch of right rudder to make a straight line. I'm also having trouble keeping a straight line in the third point in a four point roll.

I had a lot of fun with it today!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Doug your 120 sounds EXACTLY as mine did with pro flows. By the time I had 4 gallons through it the surging was absent but it only took tiny tiny adjustments from break in richening. I also used a bit of throttle curve to try and "blow by" the surging spot.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you have your vent line looped up around the back of the tank?

Years ago I thought my engines used a bunch of gas till Jason Noll showed me to loop my vent line.....
Yes, I did do the vent line loop on this one. The fuel tank mount has tabs built into it for the vent line. On my Carf Extra I forgot to do it and it would loose a very small amount out the vent.

20170630_211122_001_resized.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hmm your 120 is drinking gas... Mine new 120 that have yet to set the needles on doesn't use that much fuel, I can get about 8-10 minutes of hard 3D and manage to use only slightly more than half a tank. Both my 120's are like that.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hmm your 120 is drinking gas... Mine new 120 that have yet to set the needles on doesn't use that much fuel, I can get about 8-10 minutes of hard 3D and manage to use only slightly more than half a tank. Both my 120's are like that.
My flying buddy Tony's is the same way. 10 minute flight and the 32 ounce tank is nearly half full.