• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Group Build, 20cc Profile ARF, Who's In?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
oh, I thought that you're the lucky guy

Regarding the wing tube, mine is a really tight fit and when I mounted the wings to the fuselage the first time it seemed like the wings didn't want to squeeze in tight to the fuselage. I just checked and the wing tube is 1/16" too long. When the wings are on the tube (but not on the fuselage) there is a 1 1/4" gap at the root but the fuselage is 1 3/16" thick. I'm going to cut 1/8" off one end so the wings will be able to pull in nice and tight to the fuselage sides when the bolts are snugged up.

You guys might want to check yours to see if you have the same problem. Also, I had to sand my wing tube lightly to make it go in and out of the wings more easily. The way it was was way too tight!

fwiw, Carbon Fiber is really bad stuff! If you decide to cut your wing tube make sure you don't breathe in the dust and also don't let any micro fibers dig into your skin. Your body won't build up a bruise around a carbon fiber splinter the way it will with any other type of splinter so it could end up staying there forever (!!) if you can't get it out!

Just finishing up today and it'll be ready to fly. It isn't a long build, it just took me longer than normal because I'm trying to document the build with videos here and there.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A quick video (that took all day to edit!) showing the basic steps to mount pin hinges with epoxy.

What other tricks and tips are you guys using to get your hinges installed perfectly?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
just about ready to fly, had a few hiccups all caused by me.

final weight is about nine pounds even with the 6000mah 6S pack strapped to it. going to get the balance just right, final mount the battery straps and then take it out flying,

motor might be a little light for the airplane but we'll see.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I got out tonight for two flights on mine, just over 40 minutes of flight time on two tanks of fuel!!! Had a good time with zero wind, doing full harrier circles with the tail tickling alfalfa the whole way around. I was doing torque rolls in with the rudder in the alfalfa and having a good time. I fly it mainly on low rates so it flies more like "an airplane" and it's easy to do rollers just above grass level. Didn't get any video so I have no proof of said antics :cool: