• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP Giant Big Stick

After the demise of my Super Stick 40 at the first of November, I ordered a Great Planes Giant Big Stick. Well it will finally show up tomorrow (12/22). I am excited to get a gas plane instead of talking about it and wishing.

When I ordered the plane, I ordered a DLE35RA to power it. I have had the engine since the week after I ordered it. I think I have just about everything to get it together and flying. Except a prop.

This will be my first gasser and really first time running an engine over .46. Looking through the DLE manual, the prop range is from 18x8 to 20x8. I tried to search but I cannot find a good prop recommendation. I have found some threads with DLE35RA, but it was on a warbird. I found some stick threads, but no DLE35RA. Lots of posts on liking the DLE35RA.

I am looking for a prop that will be a good fit for the combo. Any suggestions?

les2097

50cc
I've had and flown several giant big sticks and engines from DLE 30, G-45, G-62 and now a twin CRRC 50 ... my point is that they all seem to fly the same....

For a DLE 35 I'd suggest a 19x10 or 20x10....

Have fun....

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
I'd say from my experience with that engine that 20x10 is going to be a bit much. I ran a xoar 19x8 wood and also a Falcon cf 19x8 and those were great props for 3D and regular flying.

I have to be one of the slowest assemblers on the planet! I have not had much time to work on the Stick but I am slowly making progress.

I am ready to start installing the electronics and such. I read in the instruction manual for the GP Giant Big Stick that electronics should be kept 12 inches away from the engine. But I have seen threads where batteries and servos are just behind the firewall. Is the 12 inch rule outdated or subject to the equipment you are using? I am trying to move the heavier equipment up front as I have read several times about how tail heavy this plane can be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Most of the gassers allow enough room to spread out the equipment with the ignition module and throttle servo being the only things near the engine. It also doesn't hurt for batteries to be up in or near the engine compartment. You basically though want to keep your rx away from the ignition/ignition wires as this is where the noise comes from. 2.4 ghz is pretty resilient to this noise but in some cases can still be affected if you have alot of electrical components near the ignition module or if your ignition cables have any damage to the sheeting or are loose fitting to the spark plug.

The DLE 35RA fired right up and I had no issues at all with the maiden! Got 4 flights in. Only took a little trimming and was flying great! Very good day today.

Attachments

• 20160507_100011.jpg
    20160507_100011.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 474