• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yep, the 3M blue vinyl fine lines tape for masking the actual paint line and the 3M blue painters tape for everything else. If you don't have the blue painters tape normal masking tape will, do just stick it to your clothes first and then the surface. That's the bodyshop way to make "low tack" tape. ;) Just don't use cheap tape. Some of it works fine, others is a disaster waiting to happen. I try to stick with 3M or American Tape brand.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
How do you prepare monokote for paint?
It's been a long time since I've done it, but I've done it with both Monocote and Ultracote. I was painting stripes so I masked the lines I wanted, scuffed it with a red ScotchBrite pad, primed it lightly (more for color coverage than anything) and painted like normal. It always worked out well. Someone else may have a better way.

Reactions: Jlc

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I guess I can go one of three ways to put the Raven on my wings. Vinyl, monokote, or paint it on over the monokote. Ideas??

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The "low tack" trick sounds handy. I'm always so nervous to pull off the tape in fear of having paint come with it.
Anyone that worked in a bodyshop in the late 80's early 90's is probably familiar with that horrible feeling when you see paint on the backside of your tape. The paint peeled off of everything the big three made back then and you had to be super careful.

Wacobipe

100cc
I guess I can go one of three ways to put the Raven on my wings. Vinyl, monokote, or paint it on over the monokote. Ideas??
Why not glass the wings and then paint the entire plane? That's my plan with the 2.5 I once had time to build...:cryin::cryin::cryin: