• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 2.4GHz FASSTest Dual Battery Receiver

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
For me this receiver provides me everything I want, and that is a robust power delivery using 2 packs directly into the RX. I have never been a fan of either dual receivers or all these others devices that people have convinced themselves are required to fly a big plane. For me I see those as providing more complexity, failures points, higher weight, and greater cost with no clear benefit.

Perfect example. I bought a 38% Extra (DA150) that had a power distribution deal in it. Flew it for about a month like that. Pulled that out went with 2 packs, 2 switches into a single RX and never saw any difference at all. But I saved a bunch of weight.

As I have said many times, these power distribution devices are a very eloquent solution for a nonexistent problem. But if they make you feel good, then go ahead and use them, but I will never be coninvced that they are required or improve performance in any way.
Correct! Their is no problem but rather their is an option some may prefer to have. I for one use them on larger more expensive aircraft.
The bigger question is, "why do guys whom prefer not to use them have to be so demeaning towards those that do"??

Judge

70cc twin V2
Correct! Their is no problem but rather their is an option some may prefer to have. I for one use them on larger more expensive aircraft.
The bigger question is, "why do guys whom prefer not to use them have to be so demeaning towards those that do"??

I am not sure why it is demeaning to point out that a popular perception is based more on clever and effective marketing than it is on technical reality. As I always end saying however, if it makes you feel good, then do it. It's a hobby and in the end that is all the reason any of us need in order to do something!!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
See, once again. It is not that it makes me feel better or worse it is what I choose for my own personal reasons. And you are only pointing out your personal opinion and perception and I respect that. But if you insist, "It make's me feel good", to buy what I want. If it makes you feel good to beat on what other's may like, well the by all means beat on!

Judge

70cc twin V2
Man, you keep reading more into what I write than what is there. We are each free to do whatever we want to. No judgement. I am not "beating" on anyone. I choose to do things one way and lay out the technical reasons why I do it that way. People can agree with my explanation or not. Those that do not are free to do what they want. I have no skin in the game and do not care if people do it my way or not.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL! I am stuck in a hotel room and bored out of my mind. Take it easy my man, I can only take what is written. I don't really subscribe to them even though I have one. It was bought out of curiosity more than anything, doubt I would buy another. But then their is the isolation of a servo in the event it goes bad. And the isolation of a battery in the event one should short. But then, in nearly forty years I have never had either happen in flight.

Last edited:

zMayhem

30cc
Man, you keep reading more into what I write than what is there. We are each free to do whatever we want to. No judgement. I am not "beating" on anyone. I choose to do things one way and lay out the technical reasons why I do it that way. People can agree with my explanation or not. Those that do not are free to do what they want. I have no skin in the game and do not care if people do it my way or not.

Hey Judge,
Not to cause you more grieve for you, can you explain in detail as to why not needed, (servo failure)? If you would like you can pm me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts... no offense taken... LOL

Jim

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'm with Judge, have not found a need for power box. I have a Futaba 14 channel receiver powered by 2 batteries and a single switch on 100cc planes and will do the same on my new 170cc plane.

Judge

70cc twin V2
Hey Judge,
Not to cause you more grieve for you, can you explain in detail as to why not needed, (servo failure)? If you would like you can pm me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts... no offense taken... LOL

Jim

I have had two instances of a servo failing in flight, one was in a 2 servo per aileron planes, the other was a simple servo failing. The 2 aileron servo per aileron incident fried both servos in the left wing. It was a challenge to get it down due to how it was flying. I had a simple dual battery/switch setup which proved to be up to the challenge. The other servo failure locked up the rudder a bit off center. Lost a gear and it fried in flight. Still able to land as my power system had no issues. So at least for me, the extreme case of servo failure did not cause a power issue for me.

Beyond that, I have inquired about whether the service folks have ever seen a receiver that failed due to electrical overload (voltage or amp load). The answer was no. So seems like this is not an issue either.

Using the basic principles of Ohm's law and using the references available on the Internet to calculate wire loss/voltage drop at various voltages and loads for a specific wire run I have been able to demonstrate to my own satisfaction that a typical wire type (20 or 22 AWG) used in our planes is more than up to the task.

I have also proven to myself by doing various tests that connectors are the weakest point in the power system, which is why I try to minimize how many connections I have between the battery and the servo. I solder wires to remove connectors, or make up custom lengths.

The new receiver that is the topic of this thread solves the one major potential of a weak point in the system by providing large gauge wire directly into the receiver without any switches in between Switches are the other major weakness. I have moved to using solid state magnetically actuated switches and this new RX removes the need for any switch.

When I look at any new device I ask what problem does this solve? I then try to determine if the problem is a real one in the first place. For most of the power distribution systems I have not seen that they solve a true issue.

I use the on board voltage telemetry to track my in flight voltage. After each flight I look to see what the low voltage was (that is saved on the display on my TX). I rarely have seen more than 0.5 volts difference. That is well below the threshold that I can perceive as a change in performance of the plane.

One final thing I do sometimes is to pop that hatch as soon as I can after landing. I feel the wires and connectors. If they are no warmer than ambient, I know then that I am not losing anything by excessive resistance in the wires/etc.

So that is my thought process. It has been a proven process for me in nearly 2 decades of flying larger/complex planes.

zMayhem

30cc
I have had two instances of a servo failing in flight, one was in a 2 servo per aileron planes, the other was a simple servo failing. The 2 aileron servo per aileron incident fried both servos in the left wing. It was a challenge to get it down due to how it was flying. I had a simple dual battery/switch setup which proved to be up to the challenge. The other servo failure locked up the rudder a bit off center. Lost a gear and it fried in flight. Still able to land as my power system had no issues. So at least for me, the extreme case of servo failure did not cause a power issue for me.

Beyond that, I have inquired about whether the service folks have ever seen a receiver that failed due to electrical overload (voltage or amp load). The answer was no. So seems like this is not an issue either.

Using the basic principles of Ohm's law and using the references available on the Internet to calculate wire loss/voltage drop at various voltages and loads for a specific wire run I have been able to demonstrate to my own satisfaction that a typical wire type (20 or 22 AWG) used in our planes is more than up to the task.

I have also proven......

Thank you very much!!

I will look it closely and make a determination. Either way i appreciate your time!! So far makes sense to me..

Thank you,
Jim

Judge

70cc twin V2
FCC approval granted. Manual is here:

http://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=844248&d=1437479011