• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 16sz

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
So the 11ms update time is the latency. 11 is good. I think... don't quote me, my A9x is like .07. I'm gonna check that. I also want at least 2048 on the resolution. Few newer radios have 4096 resolution as does the new Hitec rx's.
Don’t quote me but at present I believe the fastest radio is JR 28. But what I would like to know if I flew a plane with a .11 sec up date time relative time with a .07 ms if I could notice the differencebetween the times. and a resolution of 2048 to 4096. Be interesting to know.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Don’t quote me but at present I believe the fastest radio is JR 28. But what I would like to know if I flew a plane with a .11 sec up date time relative time with a .07 ms if I could notice the difference between the times. and a resolution of 2048 to 4096. Be interesting to know.
Funny you should ask that. I too wanted to know the "very" same thing a few years back when I acquired my A9x. I originally had an Aurora like my son. But then purchased my 9x and we put the two of them to the test. The Aurora is capable of 1024 resolution. The A9x is 2048 with the Optima rx's. The new Maxima rx. are 4096. As for the Latency, you will never know the difference as that is the refresh rate that the transmitter communicates with the rx. In other words, the speed at which each packet of information is sent. (This is the way it was explained to me) Anyone would be very hard pressed to know the difference between .11ms and .07ms. However, as I understand it, the faster the Latency the better. Especially if your signal has to travel a long distance. Such as a very high upline or a very far out circle. With your plane in your face, You will never recognize the difference. Less chance of signal degradation. Or worse, brown or black out. I had a light come on in my head. So...that is why there is a lag with some radios and not others. The lag from the time you move the stick and the time that the plane actually responds to the input. All Latency.

Ok, now the resolution. The amount of steps your servo moves with each step of your transmitter stick. For most of us, we are used to either the 1024 and 2048. 1024 steps of movement on your servo arm vs. 2048 vs. 4096 with the same amount of stick movement. (By the way, this is from end point to end point) Obviously with the more steps, the smoother and more precise your servos become. I wanted to know if this was real. I can personally tell you, there is no doubt in my mind that I can not only "feel" the difference, I can also see it. One of the tests we preformed was to turn on our tx's and rx's and move the sticks then watch the servo move. With the 1024 resolution you can almost see each and every step of movement of the servo arm. Almost "grainy" or "jumpy" from step to step. Now the same test with the 2048. Much less jumpiness and graininess. Quite a bit smoother. Then we tried the Maxima rx and also put the Gruapner MZ24 (both at 4096) side by side to the Hitec radio. Both were so glass smooth, you almost could not even hear them move. Let alone feel anything. But watching them was a true sight. Just like fluid...smoothly flowing liquid. Then blasting off with the same planes and basically the same setup. Shayne had a Great Planes Edge 540 with a DLE55 engine. I had the same exact plane with an RCG 50cc. Both were using Hitec HS7954SH servos. First we flew his plane with the Aurora and the 1024 resolution. Then my plane with the 2048. It was unbelievable the difference we noticed. Finally the last test last year was when we tried the MZ 24's with the 4096. You can not believe how crisp and clean the servos move. So do you notice the difference? We both did/do. This is one of the biggest reasons I hate to part with my A9x. So simple to program that a 3 year old can do it. Great Latency and superb when it comes to resolution.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Funny you should ask that. I too wanted to know the "very" same thing a few years back when I acquired my A9x. I originally had an Aurora like my son. But then purchased my 9x and we put the two of them to the test. The Aurora is capable of 1024 resolution. The A9x is 2048 with the Optima rx's. The new Maxima rx. are 4096. As for the Latency, you will never know the difference as that is the refresh rate that the transmitter communicates with the rx. In other words, the speed at which each packet of information is sent. (This is the way it was explained to me) Anyone would be very hard pressed to know the difference between .11ms and .07ms. However, as I understand it, the faster the Latency the better. Especially if your signal has to travel a long distance. Such as a very high upline or a very far out circle. With your plane in your face, You will never recognize the difference. Less chance of signal degradation. Or worse, brown or black out. I had a light come on in my head. So...that is why there is a lag with some radios and not others. The lag from the time you move the stick and the time that the plane actually responds to the input. All Latency.

Ok, now the resolution. The amount of steps your servo moves with each step of your transmitter stick. For most of us, we are used to either the 1024 and 2048. 1024 steps of movement on your servo arm vs. 2048 vs. 4096 with the same amount of stick movement. (By the way, this is from end point to end point) Obviously with the more steps, the smoother and more precise your servos become. I wanted to know if this was real. I can personally tell you, there is no doubt in my mind that I can not only "feel" the difference, I can also see it. One of the tests we preformed was to turn on our tx's and rx's and move the sticks then watch the servo move. With the 1024 resolution you can almost see each and every step of movement of the servo arm. Almost "grainy" or "jumpy" from step to step. Now the same test with the 2048. Much less jumpiness and graininess. Quite a bit smoother. Then we tried the Maxima rx and also put the Gruapner MZ24 (both at 4096) side by side to the Hitec radio. Both were so glass smooth, you almost could not even hear them move. Let alone feel anything. But watching them was a true sight. Just like fluid...smoothly flowing liquid. Then blasting off with the same planes and basically the same setup. Shayne had a Great Planes Edge 540 with a DLE55 engine. I had the same exact plane with an RCG 50cc. Both were using Hitec HS7954SH servos. First we flew his plane with the Aurora and the 1024 resolution. Then my plane with the 2048. It was unbelievable the difference we noticed. Finally the last test last year was when we tried the MZ 24's with the 4096. You can not believe how crisp and clean the servos move. So do you notice the difference? We both did/do. This is one of the biggest reasons I hate to part with my A9x. So simple to program that a 3 year old can do it. Great Latency and superb when it comes to resolution.

Tried to do a little research on radios because I am in the market for one but still on the fence. Looked up the new JR 28 and found the following that the first 16 channels have an updated time of 14ms and the rest of them 56ms update time. But the resolution is 65,500 and check it twice and that is what they say gives the radio it’s connected feeling. The new spectrums is 11ms and 2048, but what I could not find out what the new Furtado radio the 16SZ.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
resolution is 65,500 and check it twice
Yup....65,536 to be exact. That is unheard of and as they put it..."jaw dropping". But I have to wonder... there is such a huge span between 4096 and 65,536 that I would think a guy could never ever in a million years "feel" the difference. At 4096, servos are absolutely silky smooth. Can you imagine over 65,500 resolution? Wow. But (and here is the biggie for me) $2700.00 dollars for a transmitter? Yeah, not this "po" boy. Just think of all the redheads I can buy with that....! Ok, not many but a couple. LOL

I emailed futaba asking for latency and resolution numbers for the 16sza. They replied with those numbers are super secret and if we told you we would have to kill you! Seems odd to me, unless the radio doesn't compete with others. I would think it would be a selling point!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I emailed futaba asking for latency and resolution numbers for the 16sza. They replied with those numbers are super secret and if we told you we would have to kill you! Seems odd to me, unless the radio doesn't compete with others. I would think it would be a selling point!
Have to agree with you that is the most important part of the radios specifications. The latency and resolution the only true specification that tells you the performance and feel of the radio and how well you are connected to your plane I just cannot believe that is not available. I would not touch a radio until I new that.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Have to agree with you that is the most important part of the radios specifications. The latency and resolution the only true specification that tells you the performance and feel of the radio and how well you are connected to your plane I just cannot believe that is not available. I would not touch a radio until I new that.
I absolutely agree with this logic. I mean, stop and think about it. Ok, so a new radio has Bluetooth... ok. It also has internet capability...ok. It can keep you up to date on your social media news feeds....ok. It can download from the net the software and firmware updates...umm, a little spooky but ok. Brings back reflections of Terminator. An R/C radio that can think for itself, talk to you, do multifunction updates, yikes, Next it will be tying our shoes and feeding our pets. That is "UNTIL" it takes over the world. Ok, a little dramatic but ya'll get my drift. But what really speaks loudly of the versatility and solid design is how it communicates with the receiver and at what speed it can speak. I know I harp on this, but that darn Hitec A9X has two processors. Yes, they are hungry. But a small price to pay for all the functions it offers. And if Hitec would get off their "gluteus maximus'es", they could still take back over the top radio manufacturing spot. I personally would rather have a radio with less capabilities as the Futaba 16sz, yet offer the same functionality and ease of programming as the Hitec A9X with a few more channels. I don't need all that other stuff.