• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

From the beginning. How did you start flying RC?

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Nobody I knew growing up flew RC, but dad took me to a RC fly-in event at a local high school ball field when I was about 12 and I was hooked. I always wanted an RC plane, but they were too expensive and I knew nothing about them. Fast forward 25 years to 2007, married, and deployed all the time, but needed a hobby. My wife got me an Electristar RTF trainer for Xmas. Little did she know she was throwing gasoline on a long burning spark. I was so terrified to fly it, I decided I needed a flight sim to learn and got RF 3 just before I deployed again. I spent the next three months flying several hours a day on the sim, so when I got home and it was time for the maiden, it was uneventful. I flew it about 10 times and was quickly getting bored. The regulars at the field that flew every weekend year-round handed me an old Twist with a .46 and said have fun. The thing had been crashed and repaired so many times it must have weighed 7 pounds. They were expecting instant carnage, but I flew that thing for about 3 months and probably 5 gallons of glow fuel. Next step was a Ultrastik 120 with a 26cc gas engine and I was hooked on GS and gas engines. I still fly profiles with glow and those are my go-to bash planes, but I still have that Ultrastik, a 50 cc Yak, a bunch of glow planes, and electric foamies. I took about 4 years off and am just now getting back into it. Luckily the thumbs remember, 2nd flight on the Primo after 4 years off and I was hovering and harriering around like I never stopped! Now that I'm retired, I expect to be able to spend a lot more time at the flying field and a lot more time building from kits or scratch. Next project will be a 50 cc profile from scratch.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I bought a 450 heli off ebay for my first flying machine. That ended well. :lol2:
I had to chuckle with this. As most everyone entering this hobby has dreamt of, A P51 Mustang is usually top priority on the hit list for the very first air frame. Doah..... If only someone would make it clear, Mustangs and Heli's are just not the wisest first time selection. LOL.... Not at your expense...but thanks for the giggle. :laughing:

quadracer

100cc
Funny you say that, my next flying machine was a foam P51. Had I known then what I know now, it probably would have been a little different. Hahaha

I had fun with both though, and crashing and rebuilding both only served to set the hooks deeper. I haven't been without a plane or heli since then. :)

oviedoed

30cc
Wow, where do I start...My dad used to build balsa airplanes (early 1950,s) and when he was done building one he would hang it from the ceiling in my room (because mom would not allow them in the master bedroom). Now you have to understand that I was 5-6 years old at the time and I would lay in bed at night trying to figure out how to get them off of the ceiling and throw them out my bedroom window to see how well the would fly...my bedroom was on the third floor and there were woods out back so there was plenty of room to watch them fly...well, I finally figured out how to get them down and started to launch them out the window...I was in my glory as they all flew well (some were rubber band powerd) but none survived the landings. When my dad came home from work and found out what I did, I thought I was going to get killed as that was his escape...his hobby...and I just trashed his fleet. Well, to my surprise he told me to round up all the planes and we were going to fix them and fly them out the window again. That is how I "got into the hobby". Back then I was more into cars then airplanes but I did enjoy airplanes. At seventeen, I went into the Air Force and became a crew cheif on f-4's. My love and respect of airplanes was seeded.

Fast forward 29 years or so...the wife and I had moved to Florida...I was sitting in the kitchen on a sat. morning having my morning coffee when I read in the paper that "R/C World" in Orlando was having an R/C show...what the heck is an R/C show? So, the wife and I went to Orlando to see the show. Let me tell you that I fould my long lost love again...I had no idea you could fly a plane by remote control!!! I saw a guy fly the "big beautiful doll" p-51 mustang and I was hooked...that plane was BIG and had a 2 stroke inline two cyl. engine with retracts and flaps...I had to build one!!!!

Well, this was back in 1998 and I used the internet to start investagate what I needed to take on this new hobby and started to talk to people who did fly and they gave me some very disappointing information...don't build that airplane!!!! Well, I ended up building a Sig LT-40 and have enjoyed the hobby ever since. I still fly with some of those people who gave me that "disappointing info" and I thank them. I am now 65 years old and I fly a 30% Extra that is my pride and joy and I can say that I am not very good but I do have a good time with the plane and the people I fly with.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!!

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Absolutely.... '15 will be the best on record. Lots of new airframes being released, lower gas prices, huge interest from our younger people it seems, more older (using that term gently guys) pilots willing to step up to the plate and offer guidance, support and enthusiasm.... This year is going to be awesome.

The big thing around here is getting the younger crowd more involved, the kicker is....if Mom and Dad don't have the $$ to get their kids started and supported in the hobby, then they are usually out.

There is a common thread here, and in the stories I hear at the fields where I fly. A lot of us loved this hobby when we were young, and couldn't afford it. We came back when we had some spare dollars and spare time. That seems to also be true for many of the young flyers of today. We can help insure that they will eventually come back by letting them fly some of our less treasured birds now, and maybe passing on some of the older equipment.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
There is a common thread here, and in the stories I hear at the fields where I fly. A lot of us loved this hobby when we were young, and couldn't afford it. We came back when we had some spare dollars and spare time. That seems to also be true for many of the young flyers of today. We can help insure that they will eventually come back by letting them fly some of our less treasured birds now, and maybe passing on some of the older equipment.
Most definitely agree. The more we can keep the younger groups interested and enthused about this hobby, the more knowledge and fun we even as already accomplished pilots will realize in the long run. Not to mention the combined and massive years of experience we all have to offer them as well. The legacy we pass down to our posterity is what we ourselves give.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Agreed, as much as we have moved away from glow to bigger planes, glow is still a cheap way for them to get into the hobby. Nothing easier to build than a profile plane, used glow engines are cheap and last forever, and standard nylon gear servos work fine. Plus they take a beating and are easy to repair. Lots of wing area and easy to fly with reduced throws. Their skill level will never outgrow a good profile's capabilities. I don't know about everyone else, but I have a few glow engines kicking around on the shelf and a drawer full of standard servos just waiting for another opportunity. With a little shopping and asking around the club, you could easily get one in the air for under $200 if you don't use all new components.

I love the big planes, but if I could only have one plane, it would be a 40-60 size profile plane. That's the one that puts a smile on my face when nothing else will!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Agreed, as much as we have moved away from glow to bigger planes, glow is still a cheap way for them to get into the hobby. Nothing easier to build than a profile plane, used glow engines are cheap and last forever, and standard nylon gear servos work fine. Plus they take a beating and are easy to repair. Lots of wing area and easy to fly with reduced throws. Their skill level will never outgrow a good profile's capabilities. I don't know about everyone else, but I have a few glow engines kicking around on the shelf and a drawer full of standard servos just waiting for another opportunity. With a little shopping and asking around the club, you could easily get one in the air for under $200 if you don't use all new components.

I love the big planes, but if I could only have one plane, it would be a 40-60 size profile plane. That's the one that puts a smile on my face when nothing else will!
I sold nearly all my big Saito twins, radials and massive one lungers. As well as my O.S. Twins and four bangers. I mean, they are all cool and stuff....but dang, they are just messy. I love a good time just like the next guy, but really hate having to get the washcloth afterwards ya know? I still own my beast Saito .82 that is on my big trainer with lights, candy drop and flaperons. Heck this thing will huck with the best Krill. LOL.....Just can't part with it. Besides, I have four grandsons that I see wearing it out quite well. I do have one Saito 180 left. Not many lower grade servos any longer. Those are about gone. I do have a few Nimh packs....a number of smaller props and a butt load of other Nitro related stuff.... (come to think of it) I am now thinking it is time to make a donation to the local clubs for the sake of our youth.