• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Frank Bowman rings low compression

thurmma

150cc
I got the 106 fired up tonight! I think I qualified for the Olympic prop flipping team or at least I had enough practice tonight :) Once I got the engine fired up it was great to actually hear it running better as time went on. Of course the first couple of minutes were just getting it warmed up, but after about 10 minutes at about 2000 to 2500 rpm it started sounding much better. I never really ran it up to full throttle because I have neighbors and small kids all around me and it was about 9pm. After shutting it down and trying to start it again, it had a ton more compression and kicked off on the second flip even after sitting for about 10 minutes in 28 degree temps.

I did notice a couple drips of gas on the garage floor after I brought it back in, but I am thinking that may be from the initial choking to get it going. I am planning on running it a bit more during lunch tomorrow to see how it does now from a cold start.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I got the 106 fired up tonight! I think I qualified for the Olympic prop flipping team or at least I had enough practice tonight :) Once I got the engine fired up it was great to actually hear it running better as time went on. Of course the first couple of minutes were just getting it warmed up, but after about 10 minutes at about 2000 to 2500 rpm it started sounding much better. I never really ran it up to full throttle because I have neighbors and small kids all around me and it was about 9pm. After shutting it down and trying to start it again, it had a ton more compression and kicked off on the second flip even after sitting for about 10 minutes in 28 degree temps.

I did notice a couple drips of gas on the garage floor after I brought it back in, but I am thinking that may be from the initial choking to get it going. I am planning on running it a bit more during lunch tomorrow to see how it does now from a cold start.

Great! Just treat it like you breaking it in again. No need to run excessively rich but hold off on long duration WOT and rapidly heating the engine. Once it starts breaking in again your low end should "fatten/rich" up a bit.

It has been a bit since I last ran a 3dub but what others have said holds true. It takes a good 10-15 gallons to break in as stock.
I wonder how many with the Bowman's in place? Just being curious. I am going to have a 75 going again in the near future. It has dual piston rings and really good cold compression. I can see only a little bit of carbon under the first ring and the cylinder looks brand new. I think I will treat it like a new motor.

thurmma

150cc
I went home at lunch and ran the engine again for about 20 minutes and it is running like it has never ran before! I have a 3W 27x10 wood prop on it and it is turning 6030 rpm at WOT! Couldn't get it past 5800 before the new parts. The throttle response is just like my 3W-150, nice and snappy :) Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get the plane in the air and see how it flies.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
:attaboy:
I went home at lunch and ran the engine again for about 20 minutes and it is running like it has never ran before! I have a 3W 27x10 wood prop on it and it is turning 6030 rpm at WOT! Couldn't get it past 5800 before the new parts. The throttle response is just like my 3W-150, nice and snappy :) Can't wait for the weather to break so I can get the plane in the air and see how it flies.
:attaboy:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Desert aircraft told me after I changed rings and had no compression that there has to be oil in the cylinder. Supposed to prime the engine and get wet before the first start up. Sounds like your on the right track. I never had a frank Bowman ring with poor ring gap. Unless the cylinder wasn't round like Mintor.

thurmma

150cc
Well, I just replaced the ignition on the 106 with an RC Excel ignition and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I picked up 1,000 rpm on the ground, the idle is much better and the throttle response is instant, the way my 150 runs :) Happy camper here guys! Hope I can get it in the air tonight for a little bit to see how things run above ground :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well, I just replaced the ignition on the 106 with an RC Excel ignition and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I picked up 1,000 rpm on the ground, the idle is much better and the throttle response is instant, the way my 150 runs :) Happy camper here guys! Hope I can get it in the air tonight for a little bit to see how things run above ground :)

Sounds like you getting a better (hot) spark! The EME 60 I have came with a 4.8-6.0 volt ignition. I now run a lipo to it and gained 200 rpm (runs a little hotter too) I recommend you "re-tune" just to make sure you are not going lean.

rcpilotacro

70cc twin V2
used more than a couple of engines with franks rings, not once, had less compression,

PS
got a nice prayer book too ! that's a good gift for a good Catholic !! how good a Catholic i am ? god only knows
Frank Bowman rings.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sounds like you getting a better (hot) spark! The EME 60 I have came with a 4.8-6.0 volt ignition. I now run a lipo to it and gained 200 rpm (runs a little hotter too) I recommend you "re-tune" just to make sure you are not going lean.
Hmmm..... Nimh 6.0 volt verses 7.4 Li-Ion. Is that why my 176 runs like a raped ape?:laughing:Oh wait, no! It's just bad ass. That is all!