• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Fixing up the firewall

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
was looking through it, i might build it first and then do the Carden after that. The Lanier kit looks like it will go together pretty quickly.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
A hardwood drill guide sounds like a great idea. I have considered using the backplate on the engine before, but I think this is even better.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The backplate is also a good idea but the hardwood being thicker holds the drillbit exactly where it is supposed to be.
I also shimmed the drill guide so the holes were actually drilled with the approx 2 degree angle built in.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
A short video wrapping up the firewall project (I don't know why youtube won't replace the thumbnail for the video! lol)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had an Aeroworks 50cc Yak that was electric powered before someone else tried to install a gasser. It was a mess, it looked like the guy used a chisel to cut the throttle linkage hole. I filled the extra holes with epoxy and ground fiberglass and then laminated a piece of 1/32" ply over it to make it look good. It worked out well.
Firewall Before.jpg Firewall After.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
they can look pretty ugly after they've been through a couple of different engines/motors, throttle servo locations, fuel line and ignition wire holes, etc.
clean 'em up though and they look great! laminating the firewall though, that's almost like bling for an old plane's soul....i commend you!