• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Announces their rules for radio controlled aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
We need somebody with a 'voice' to start a "mail a drone" campaign. We don't have money to influence Washington. But, if we mailed them a bunch ,,, 100,000 drones... maybe that would get some attention

You can buy these things in packs of 20 for like $10.00. Flood their offices with "Drones" :)

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Times have changed and really it has a lot to do with the progression of technology. If 3 axis stabilization and the ability to control multiple motors with enough stability to fly around never occurred, we probably wouldn't be in this situation.

It's unfortunate but I am with you and let's move forward and not dwell too much in the past. We can do this by not fighting the establishment and simply complying and answer any questions from the authority with honesty and respect.

I feel doing this will help direct any further regulations with very little effect on us and keep it aimed at the pilots causing problems.

J. Robert Oppenheimer and General Leslie Groves were political opposites but worked together gaining each others mutual respect and did something that no other country could match in a similar timeline.

That's all fine and dandy until the machine runs you over. Opposition creates a balance of which both sides can agree to. My opposition is merely the fact that they don't have the authority yet and if we just simply conform without complaint the rules will run us out of the air. It's like giving that neighbor of the field that always complains all the authority of what we do, of which he would stop us.

You both are spot on. Is there a conspiracy China has started this mess and the drone was the toy tool??? Hmn.......makes you think! But on a personal level IMHO "invasion of privacy" and "control over free will" is what has most in an uproar and the FAA has no business to put this stink in our faces. Who is really pulling the FAA administrators strings? Hmn.......Nothing but a bunch of damn puppets on capitol hill anyway.

That's all fine and dandy until the machine runs you over. Opposition creates a balance of which both sides can agree to. My opposition is merely the fact that they don't have the authority yet and if we just simply conform without complaint the rules will run us out of the air. It's like giving that neighbor of the field that always complains all the authority of what we do, of which he would stop us.

Well, I'm not saying we should comply with whatever they come up with but work with the authorities and make our opposition to ideas that don't make any sense in a firm but respectful manner.

If Johnny Law comes to the field, I will spend all afternoon showing them our hobby instead of flying if it means they come away educated and seeing that we are not a problem and not the ones who need regulation.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
An easy fix for the issue the FAA needs to fix would be regulation in regards to the transmission of on board cameras, no can see no can fly. Or the FCC if the case may be.

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
I find it disturbing that there are MANY of you that want separation so the FAA can/will regulate the MR/FPV/AP hobby which after christmas is estimated to be 1.6 million strong....... BUT want absolutely NO regulation to the 185000 AMA members that may fly traditional model aircraft.
So, WHY , is it ok for big brother to regulate the crap out of MR/FPV/AP hobby (if separated) BUT traditional model aircraft get a pass...........
What I am seeing here is selfishness of people, want a particular hobby regulated as long as it is NOT their own............

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I'm thinking.......this is only going to regulate the people whom ALREADY follow the existing rules, etiquette and fly safely, so why do we need to be regulated/registered?????? I DON"T GET IT????

The people who disregard the laws, fly like maniacs and put people and property in danger don't give two $hits about rules and regulations....they are still going to do it ANYWAYS!!!!! I guarantee you these people will NOT be among the ones that register!!!

IMO, the thought process on this is SO SIMPLE!........why does the government have to make it SO COMPLICATED?!?!?!?!?!?!:confused??:

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
I find it disturbing that there are MANY of you that want separation so the FAA can/will regulate the MR/FPV/AP hobby which after christmas is estimated to be 1.6 million strong....... BUT want absolutely NO regulation to the 185000 AMA members that may fly traditional model aircraft.
So, WHY , is it ok for big brother to regulate the crap out of MR/FPV/AP hobby (if separated) BUT traditional model aircraft get a pass...........
What I am seeing here is selfishness of people, want a particular hobby regulated as long as it is NOT their own............
DISTURBING? REALLY?....

I find it disturbing that for 80 years traditional modelers have enjoyed their hobby with nary an eyebrow raised in any kind of negative light, in fact, the VAST MAJORITY of AMA clubs have been held in high esteem in their respective communities UNTIL, in their very brief existence, DRONES have caused a veritable sh!tstorm of negativity be cast on us.

WHY SHOULD WE BE REGULATED? WE DIDN'T BRING THIS ON OURSELVES, THE DRONES DID!!!!!!!!

You want to talk selfish? Why do you think we have been able to enjoy reasonable insurance rates for 80 years? BECAUSE WE ARE SAFE!! Now, the droners want to jump on our bandwagon just so they can go fly their gadgets around airports, in the public arena and other places where the likelihood of doing damage to the litigious public is THOUSANDS of times greater than at our designated flying facilities. How long will our rates remain affordable? NOT VERY LONG!

Regards,

Astro

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Showing your true selfish colors here: so if YOUR hobby friends cause trouble, you want OUR hobby to suffer the consequences!
Thank you for showing your true face while accusing others of selfishness.
Now, this new petition makes even more sense!

https://www.change.org/p/ama-members-get-drones-away-from-model-aviation-and-ama

M

Matt

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf

This is the one that concerns me more... This shuts down about 6 clubs in the DC area... Including my club, northern VA, DCrc, PGRC, and a couple others... It pisses me off the AMA has not stepped in at all... The FAA refrences special approval but nowhere is it called out what that special approval is! This is where the AMA needs to step up and support us!!

OK, so of that tiny portion of 1.6 million drone lovers who are actually part of the AMA.

On point and to add to that, only 5 out of every 1000 Americans are members of the AMA.

We are too few to fight this and doing so will only bring more regulation on us. So the way to deal with this is to pay the $5, put the number on your planes, continue flying as you did before, and when officials stop to check what we're doing being honest and respectful in educating them.

And if they say something you disagree with, you can make a counter argument and let the facts do the talking.

Do NOT give any official any reason to question who we are what we are doing. If Johnny Law is short on his citation quota, he should only head out to the local flying club because he can't seem to get to his quota so he might as well go watch some guys fly around!

Status
Not open for further replies.