• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
i'm learning 3d at this point. in a lot of ways, i'm throwing the sticks around without much planning. i can do flat spins fairly consistently, knife-edge spins, pop tops…i'm challenged with hovers and harriers…so rolling harriers are impossible for me right now. i plan to change that this year. i've been trying different things on Realflight. i'm a much better pilot on the computer…it makes me wonder how accurate it really is. i really like the extra 300. it will knife-edge without any mixing and i really like the stability it exhibits in the air. i've read on the forum that some of the other airframes are more agile, or floaty…so i thought it might be cool to try something different.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
How can you not like the 60 Edge? It comes in light, rocks with the rest of them, and all you have to do is fly it because it has no bad habits. I'm not near as good as Tom here, but it's the only plane I've flow so far that guys have commented... "wow, you're 3D flying has improved a LOT". The plane instills a lot of confidence.

If you're not one of the elite pilots, this plane will make you look better than you are, and if you're good like the boy here, you'll have so much fun that it will be tough to leave this thing home when you're off to the field. You'll love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhSWJl6nRE

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Nothing wrong with any of them IMHO. I think you just develop preferences.

My flying these days has very little harrier or hover going on, yes in the early days I used to hover and harrier my butt off, but it becomes a bit stale.

My style has become more high energy and violent multiple snaps etc. I find the extra flys the most crisp, lightest in the air and most agile when slow.

This is only my opinion- every one is different. All these EF EXP models fly soo damn easy for basic sport flying, they land almost without effort and basic 3D, hover and harrier just effortless.

I find the MXS extremely agile, almost too agile with high energy tumbles, crank shafts etc, but its also a bit hard to get it to track supper straight unless you run it a bit nose heavy with the lipo, but then it looses some of its tumbleness features.

I think with the Laser, given that it has such a large cowl, and its soo long in the fuse, perhaps its a bit more draggy in the air, taking away the punchiness I found in the Edge and Extra.

If you have the Extra already and want to progress faster, I'd say fly a Telink EPP plane to learn the 3D stuff rather then the 60" EF plane. Still fly the Ef plane for fun, but learn the low/slow stuff on EPP that can bounce.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
whoa…that dude has TALENT! i've heard before that an Edge can make you look good. sounds like it's right up my alley. until i am good, a 540 can make me look skilled. i know, you're all thinking, "poser!" All i can say in response is "absolutely". thanks Aeroplayin. i like your name. i get the double entendre' Aero playin and aero plane. clever.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I gotta jump in and say I agree completely. Get the Edge and go from there, it is so stable it's silly.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
hey Bigroger, i have the 60" EF extra and am considering another 60" airframe. Doc austin likes the edge the best. it seems there a lot of votes for the laser. what would be your recommendation after the extra?

And my recommendation after the 60" extra, is buy another one, then another one, then another one. I have found that chopping and changing between airframes doesn't do you any favours for learning skills. Each airframe has its own traits and when your learning skills etc, have the familiar airframe that flys consistently is a big advantage.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
Nothing wrong with any of them IMHO. I think you just develop preferences.

My flying these days has very little harrier or hover going on, yes in the early days I used to hover and harrier my butt off, but it becomes a bit stale.

My style has become more high energy and violent multiple snaps etc. I find the extra flys the most crisp, lightest in the air and most agile when slow.

This is only my opinion- every one is different. All these EF EXP models fly soo damn easy for basic sport flying, they land almost without effort and basic 3D, hover and harrier just effortless.

I find the MXS extremely agile, almost too agile with high energy tumbles, crank shafts etc, but its also a bit hard to get it to track supper straight unless you run it a bit nose heavy with the lipo, but then it looses some of its tumbleness features.

I think with the Laser, given that it has such a large cowl, and its soo long in the fuse, perhaps its a bit more draggy in the air, taking away the punchiness I found in the Edge and Extra.

If you have the Extra already and want to progress faster, I'd say fly a Telink EPP plane to learn the 3D stuff rather then the 60" EF plane. Still fly the Ef plane for fun, but learn the low/slow stuff on EPP that can bounce.

Thanks Bigroger, i appreciate your breakdown of the characteristics of these airframes. i have been looking at the Telink EPP's as well as the new EPP/balsa hybrids. it would be a good starting point. it sounds like you're flying fast and mean these days. I really like watching pilots wringing out those high inertia programs. thanks again for your input.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
And my recommendation after the 60" extra, is buy another one, then another one, then another one. I have found that chopping and changing between airframes doesn't do you any favours for learning skills. Each airframe has its own traits and when your learning skills etc, have the familiar airframe that flys consistently is a big advantage.

Roger, excellent advice. It's hard to resist all the "candy" out there. Having a "training/ backup" airframe is nice. I have a 60" and 78" extra. However I do like breaking it up with some other frames- 60" Laser, a glider and a couple edfs. I think there is a 9x" in my future!

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2

Yes, stick with one air frame. Makes the learning curve shorter and more consistent. Meanwhile get the EDGE. It is the best one out there for learning 3D IMO.