• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Extra 300 91"

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just met a new Oregon 3D friend today ( [MENTION=2744]baumerm[/MENTION] ) at Evergreen Aviation Museum and Water Park while on a family outing. It's such an amazing facility and they built a rc airfield for the local club! I will attach some pics I took today.

Here is a Pic of Martin Baumer and his EF 91" Extra 300 powered by a DA60 with MTW RE2 header and pipe. Sounded really nice.

IMG_4180.JPG

Here are some pics of the Museum and Water Park. We are so blessed to have such a great facility here in Oregon. The Evergreen family works hard to promote great family and biblical values along with their passion for aviation. Truly a great place to visit. If you live in Oregon or S. Washington you should take the time to visit.

IMG_4184.JPGIMG_4198.JPGIMG_4194.JPGIMG_4204.JPGIMG_4193.JPGIMG_4201.JPGIMG_4187.JPGIMG_4190.JPGIMG_4200.JPGIMG_4186.JPGIMG_4199.JPGIMG_4196.JPGIMG_4206.JPGIMG_4195.JPGIMG_4189.JPGIMG_4203.JPGIMG_4192.JPGIMG_4188.JPGIMG_4202.JPGIMG_4191.JPGIMG_4185.JPG

:peace:

Attachments

• IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_4205.JPG
    IMG_4205.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 304

danielph

50cc
It's been years since I've been to Evergreen and I need to get back down there someday. That's cool that you got to meet up with Martin! It looks like a great place to fly, except for the 400' ceiling posted on their website. Flying the GS airplanes, that would be difficult to comply with.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
It's been years since I've been to Evergreen and I need to get back down there someday. That's cool that you got to meet up with Martin! It looks like a great place to fly, except for the 400' ceiling posted on their website. Flying the GS airplanes, that would be difficult to comply with.

Martin mentioned 450 but yes even that's tough with a 50cc'r.

baumerm

New to GSN!
Our former paved runway and availability of AC power attracted many flyers with smaller airplanes, so for most of our members the altitude restriction is easy to deal with. For the few of us flying larger aircraft it is more difficult to comply. I do have telemetry with an altimeter in my 60cc Extra which helps a little.

By the way, the Extra flies great! It makes me not wanting to fly any of my other planes anymore. The RE2 pipe seems less peaky than the ES composite pipe I had on the Edge and I am happy with the amount of power I get out the DA60.

Martin

danielph

50cc
Glad you're enjoying the 91 Martin! If I got another pipe for the DA-60, I would avoid that ES composite pipe. The weight, or lack there of was nice though!

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how you can practice IMAC sequences out there. Looks like a beautiful place to fly though and I would enjoy getting out there one day.

Been a while since I've commented on my build. I finally have the cowl cut and complete. I decided on how to mount the pilot and the instrument panel. I have the regulator and switch for the DA 70 ignition installed.

For the instrument I decided to secure to the canopy with 4/40 blind nuts. I added a piece of wood onto the the canopy and glued one to the bottom of the instrument so it can be removed when needed.

As for the pilot. I use black tie downs to make it look like seat belts. I also added velco to the bottom of the pilot figure and ran two white tie downs to secure the underside of the pilot figure to the wood.

As for the engine box, I glued the top in place with epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass. Last night I installed the tie-stock with the same adhesive.

DA 70 fit check

I cut a small hole on the top of the engine box to run the power from the ignition to inside the Extra.

I have the receivers mocked up.

I'm going to install the cowl, prop, spinner and canopy and check the CG before I install the two flight pack batteries and switches.

It's finally getting close...lot of work to get his in the air. My first big plane, big for me anyway.

Attachments

• Cowl spark plug hole with vaccum tubing.jpg
    Cowl spark plug hole with vaccum tubing.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Cowl with vaccum tubing in openings.jpg
    Cowl with vaccum tubing in openings.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 348
  • cross memember in canopy for instrument panel.jpg
    cross memember in canopy for instrument panel.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Ignition Switch with LED for Ignition kill.jpg
    Ignition Switch with LED for Ignition kill.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 337
  • Instrument Panel with Blindnuts.jpg
    Instrument Panel with Blindnuts.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 321
  • Mock up of 7008 rx's.jpg
    Mock up of 7008 rx's.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Motor box glued with expoxy and milled fiberglass.jpg
    Motor box glued with expoxy and milled fiberglass.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Protective covering for ele and rudder wire.jpg
    Protective covering for ele and rudder wire.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Pilot Installation.jpg
    Pilot Installation.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Regulator for DA ignition.jpg
    Regulator for DA ignition.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 310
  • motor fit check look down.jpg
    motor fit check look down.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 330
  • motor fit check side view.jpg
    motor fit check side view.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 273
  • sealed the exhaust area with epoxy and alcohol 1 1 2014.jpg
    sealed the exhaust area with epoxy and alcohol 1 1 2014.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 292
Mike

Thanks!

All I have left to do is install baffels and balance the Extra, which will require mounts for the batteries and installing the Fromeco switches; then I can start the DA 70.
I hope I can test run the motor this weekend

Finally at the stage to balance the 300. I did a balance today and found out I need t place the batteries up front by the engine box for it to balance on the wing tube. I should have them installed before the weekend.

Attachments

• balance four.jpg
    balance four.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 439
  • balance three photo.jpg
    balance three photo.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 317
  • balance two photo.jpg
    balance two photo.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 382