• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok, Stuffing a DA-50 in the 35CC narrow MSX cowling isn't such an easy task. Fitting the motor was easy, fitting a stock exhaust is not so easy.

Spinner Gap is perfect.
15306328288_32ea1af88e_b.jpg

15306328518_69ceca08c4_b.jpg

15492976235_a756381ee0_b.jpg

Like I said Fitting the Motor is easy.
15306068229_2b354c5359_b.jpg

Shoe-Horning that Stock Pipe, Not so easy.
15492637682_b5866eb6d4_b.jpg

15306087529_5559597896_b.jpg

The cowl is rough cut to the pipe, I still need to cut away more material to clearance the cowl away from the side of expansion chamber. What is the minimal clearance to I need from the fins and the exhaust to insure heat doesn't burn the fiberglass?

IMHO 3mm is plenty. The fiberglass won't burn, it'll just char a TINY bit if it touches.

Very nice job getting the da50 in there

Thanks for the DA50 build thread. The pictures are especially helpful. KEEP GOING!

I have a DA50 on the shelf that runs too well to sell and just bought the EF 83" MXS last week. I must use a pitts muffler to pass noise rules at one of my clubs. I am concerned about the weight, but it seems to me the 83" wings area can handle it and EF did design the plane to handle the DA50.

IMHO - a DA35 with a pitts/stock muffler isn't enough power.

AKfreak

150cc
I went with the stock muffler vs the Pitts for weight savings. This thread isn't a build thread, but I don't mind offering a few more pics. The build is straight forward, with only a few areas of opportunity to do things better. I bought this plane specifically for a DA50, and because my 64" MSX was bad to the bone.

There is a bag marked the mail wheel, it should say the main wing. In that main wing bag, the turnbuckles should be used for the elevator. Or, you could buy 90mm length turnbuckles if you want maximum elevator throw. Also the turnbuckles in the elevator bag (marked Stab I think) should be used for the ailerons. Lastly, the wheels suck, they are wobbly and or do not fit the axles.

[video=youtube_share;5yrnCS248_E]http://youtu.be/5yrnCS248_E[/video]

AKfreak

150cc
I do want to follow up on this wheel issue. First off, it kind of bothered me, so I called Extreme Flight. Guess who answered, "Thanks for calling Extreme Flight, this is Chis" the owner Chris Hinson. I told him that I had some messed up wheels and have talked to several other guys with the same problem. He said he hasn't heard of this problem, and he would send me a new set tomorrow. That's pretty good service, and I'll let you know how it ends up.

Frankly the wheels on my EF 88" Edge suck too. They look good, but are worn out after 40 flights. But heck I don't care too much - easy to replace. And if you have a real issue with their products Chris is a fair minded person and I know he will do what he says he will do.

My pitts weights about 4 ounces more than a stock muffler. Let me know how your CG turns out.

LOL, maybe this isn't build thread but it is helpful to me, I don't need a step by step on how to install hings:)

Last edited by a moderator:

hone

150cc
My posts really seem to bother you Joe, what's on your mind. We are all adults here.
I just mentioned how the single blind nut works perfect because the square part of the axle also helps keep the pants in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

vegasking

70cc twin V2
It's really not that big of a deal, takes 5 minutes to drill and install. Sounds kinda whiny to me. Yes my wheels were a little tight too, just ream them out. For the wobble that yours has, it's most likely from not drilling them out straight. Those hubs are injection molded and should be somewhat straight.