• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

SnowDog

If those are glacier 2600 2s, then I know it only last for 4 flights on a single as that is what killed my 92 last week as the other bat had a connector failure early in the day that I did not detect. That plane has a covered canopy floor so you can't see the lights. Another nail in the Spektrum coffin for me as the Jeti has RX voltage telemetry built in.

Matt, sorry to hear about your 92...do you check battery voltage before every flight?

My mentor, John, has drilled it into my head to make sure I do that before every flight...no matter what...and I didn't used to do it, but I try to remember now.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Matt, sorry to hear about your 92...do you check battery voltage before every flight?

My mentor, John, has drilled it into my head to make sure I do that before every flight...no matter what...and I didn't used to do it, but I try to remember now.

That's one of the cool features of my Hitec A9x, it gives me rx voltage telemetry on my radio also... So easy to check before flight :)

I had 5200 mah in total capacity and 4 flights is about the point I start to check them. They should have been at 50%, but instead they were 1 and 80 due to the crimp failure. Preventable mistake, but that is how life goes in this hobby. Airframes are expendables unfortunately.

SnowDog

5200's wow...that's a lot of capacity...I would have been tempted to not check them either.

either way, bummer for sure.

AKfreak

150cc
They are 2100 mah 2S life packs.all of my servos are brushless so they draw less current than standard digi's. If I get 4 flights that's ok. That's 40 mins in the air and way more than I usually fly on my electric 78" extra. Heck I'll buy 4 more of those pacs if I have to then for sure I'll have enough.

As far as changing the packs, they are a pain. If I get tired of it, I'll build a new platform thang is above the pull pull cables. I guess I could make some 3 foot 2S balance leads and charge in in the plane. I hear LIFE packs are much safer than lipos, and charging in the plane isn't a problem. Too bad once can't just charge via the balance leads, this would make the proces much simpler.

This plane is ready to fly, now I just need a window if time and to muster the courage to put it in the air. Just thinking about flying it make me super nervous. Do any of you get nervous when you fly planes? With my 76" Extra, I am finally over the nervous stuff.

With Gass stuff, it adds more elements to be nervous about. Do I have the tune right, will it dead stick, did I do everything right? Is it better to be a little fat or a little lean? Which of the two causes dead sticks.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Lean causes deadsticks... rich causes fouling.

Yes I get nervous on a maiden of a big plane.

3dNater

I think if you are close it is good enough for a maiden. Keep the first flight fairly short and check the motor temp. If it is hot you need to richen it some.

I suppose having it a little fat is preferable to lean but you shouldn't be to far off either way.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
When breaking in a motor I (this is just my opinion after racing dirtbikes, building hot rod motors, etc...) make sure I am running right where it should be... not fat or lean. But the key is to break in the motor by using a good oil like Stihl Ultra at 30:1 for a gallon, then move to 35:1 next gallon, then to 40:1 which is where i usually fly at. But during the break in do not run the sucker up on the ground for any length of time (Heat is not your friend during break in). Also when in the air don't keep the motor at the same rpm's for very long... Keep moving the throttle through the range to help allow the rings to seat properly. I also check my plugs during break in and between week ends to make sure they look like the color of roasted marsh mellows. If it does then you know your needles are right. At first though with the higher oil to gas ratio it will make a mess out the exhaust and the plugs maybe a little oily. Just my 2 cents... not claiming to be an expert and i'm sure others have varying opinions on the matter. Hope that helps!

I am a gas freak... love the smell... love of the sound.... Gassers all the way!

3dNater

Great advice Mike. I especially like the part about checking the plugs. A fouled plug will make the motor run crappy for sure and the high oil content during break in usually makes them black.

Tom Josh Fassman is an excellent resource. I have a lot if respect for his engine knowledge. I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to him. I think you have his number...

In this instance I thought this motor was already broken in. Is that right?