• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Im confused by the pitch speed... and are we talking static thrust and rpms? My dle 35 turns around 8000 rpms on the ground with a 19x8 xoar beechwood. But I have data showing that the flat wot speed of my plane is 94 mph. I obtained that from gps data from my smartphone strapped to the canopy.

Pitch speed is the velocity the plane would travel in a solid medium, like a screw through wood per each revolution, taking into consideration the pitch angle and RPMs.

MPH = (((Pitch in Inches / 12 inches) x RPMs) x 60 seconds) / 5280 ft

Also, power in torque is the factor that typically defines forces of rotational velocity. So going to a calculation for torque, which is simply a relationship between HP and RPMs, make sense when comparing props of different lengths and loads. I don’t have all the weights of these props, but taking a guess at them:

20x8 Mejzlik at 8210 RPMs produces 2.4 lb-ft of torque
21x8 Mejzlik at 7530 RPMs produces 2.4 lb-ft of torque
20x8 Xoar Beechwood at 7500 RPMs produces 2.2 lb-ft of torque
A 20x10 Xoar Beech at 6950 produces 2.4 lb-ft of torque
A 20x9 CF Falcon at 7680 produces 2.3 lb-ft of torque
A 20x7 CF Falcon at 8860 produces 2.4 lb-ft of torque

My guess is that the 20x8 Xoar can be spun up a little higher, and it may just be an engine tuning issue, or my weight estimate is off and the load constant I'm using is wrong. Going to 7720 RPMs would bring it in line with 2.4 lb-ft.

Either way, we need to know which are with a pipe and which are without because from what I think is being reported, it looks like the DA35 may be putting out as much torque without a pipe than the DLE35 is producing with one. Something to consider carefully, and just my assumption from the measured values being reported. But if anyone is really impressed with the DLE35 numbers with the 20x7 Falcon, there's no evidence yet that this is something wonderful. In fact, perhaps more disappointing.

For many of us here in Florida, we use/used synthetics, lik Royal Purple, to get about another 150-180 RPMs while dropping the temps a bit too. This is very important when it’s hot and the air density is low. We could fatten it up a bit to fly safer in 3D without losing a step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
BTW Matt... your A60-8S with the 21x10 electric beech Falcon will easily do 2.5 lb-ft on 12S because it only takes 6665 RPMs, and we've seen as much as 6680 after the high voltage is bled off the batts. It's about 3.2 HP.

So as far as measured RPMs in a static position, all of these engines and props, and A60 and DM4330 motors with 20x8 to 21x10 e-props, are all producing about the same amount of torque. I think the difference may come when the pipes go on the DA-35. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Those turnbuckles are not long enough for me...I would not be comfortable flying with such a small amount of threads into the ball link.
I would be concerned that the ball link threads would strip out if there was a large amount of force in play at the time.

Me either. I have not opened my kit yet but I will be replacing. I did hear where some feel the packaging may have been wrong and the aileron and elevator rods are reversed. Check that out.

I can't speak for others but I can say that mine were def packaged wrong. :p
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406767762.013347.jpg

ryan_m

100cc
For those interested the stock turnbuckles are 50mm (ailerons) and 60mm (elevator). I ordered a set of these:
http://store.aztechaeromodels.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=344

and then moved the elevator ones to the ailerons. That gives me an extra 5mm of threads into the ball link. And peace of mind. I already test fitted the aileron pushrod and it works perfectly.
And while I was there I grabbed a set of my favorite wing bolts for the plane as well:
http://store.aztechaeromodels.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=111
Love those wing bolts. Makes installing the wings much faster. And they look cool :)

I picked up a few sets of H9 turnbuckles for me and Patrick. He says 4" should work with maybe a little shaving off one end. Since the LHS is 1.5 gallons of gas and a 50+ mile round trip I just got a set of 3.5" while I was there. We are both moving the elevator to the ailerons as well. We are also going to the forward spline location. He played with it in mock up and found he could get a cam over without the servo powered. He thought it would be ok, but after my 78 experience I am going forward where I know it physically can't. He also tells me in the forward position you can squeeze a 2" arm in there. He says 75 degrees with the 1.75" up and hits the horn down, so 2" is probably a waste.

ryan_m

100cc
I didn't think about turning around the servo to get better geometry and reduce cam-over possibility. Dang it, already ordered the 70mm ones. Perhaps I should have ordered 90mm... must investigate tonight and see if I need to make yet another order. Good idea Enterprise! Considering it's what we wound up doing on the 78" Extra I should have thought of that here too!