• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Patroller & 49Dimes thanks for checking. One more question.

The outboard servo box on the wings, what is the depth of the box, from the wood surface the servo mounting ears sit on to the balsa sheeting on the top side of the wing? I'm looking at the Savox SA-1231SG and they have about 7mm more height to them; 45mm versus the typical 37-38mm.

I will check on that for you as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks. Maybe JoeAirPort will later this evening since he is taking his out of the boxes.
Ok Capt. The outboard servo pocket is 1 1/4" deep. The front side is 1 1/2" deep but the back closest to the hinge is more shallow so it's only 1 1/4" (31.75mm). So the 1 1/4" is the limiting dimension. My Hitec 7955 is 24mm deep so it fits with room to spare. Are you sure about the servo dimensions you posted? They seem kind of high compared to my Hitec's. My Hitec 7950's are the same. They're 26mm deep without the grommets on, 24mm with them on.

Last edited:

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
1231SG
Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x45.0

The 45mm isn't from the servo ear to the bottom of the case; that distance is more around 32mm.

Thanks for measuring the pocket.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
How would the Extra fly with a DA85 and RE3? Has anyone tried it?
Have not tried it but with the pipe and a 27x10 I bet it would be tame enough to practice low and slow and precision. The DA 120 and pro flow cans in mine make it tame or ballistic . Scares me back into reality.lol

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
A few guys were interested in the ducting I did for the 104. It has operated and cooled the DA120 extremely well ( as best I can tell) but I have no temperature data as of yet. Figured this is good as place as any to follow up with some numbers once I get the new telemetry radio set up and the choice/type of sensor. Now I am not going to get all technical with btu's hr per cfm sort of thing. Just the peak temp during stalled flight over time in minutes and average temps. One huge advantage that this type of duct offers is that heat soak does not adversely effect the bonnet top of the cowl since the 104 cowl is a soft fiberglass and the air exit does not have to be huge. I have some pictures I will post and will take some current picks as more gallons go through the engine. I have little time on it (about 6 gallons) and so far the wood construction and paint still look brand new and no signs of fatigue of the duct structure or its mounting points.

Attachments

• Photo118.jpg
    Photo118.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 419
  • Photo117.jpg
    Photo117.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Photo116.jpg
    Photo116.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 376
  • Photo114.jpg
    Photo114.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 436
  • Photo120.jpg
    Photo120.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Photo119.jpg
    Photo119.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Construction was done with 1/32 sheet veneer, 1/8 lite ply, 1/16 balsa sheet, 3/8 square hard stock, popcicle sticks, 2x12x4 balsa block, 1/4 laminated light ply, enamel paint, 4-40x3/4 hex screw and long hex cap servo mounting screw.

I apologize for I no longer have pics of construction sequences.