• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Electric Power Library Thread

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Guys and gals, please allow me to be the first to declare that electric power is here to stay! :yesss:

To a lot of people though electric power is still a deep and very dark mystery. To help the blind see I thought it might be helpful to see what you guys (and gals :) ) are flying and to make it very helpful I'd like to ask that you post all of the details. No such thing as TMI in the "Electric Power Thread" !

So let's see a photo of your airframe and the power installation
Then post the details of the motor, ESC, prop, switches, servos, all up weight, wire gauge between batteries/esc/motor, flight times, etc. Also please state if the total package is underpowered, scale, or overpowered.

If we can get this thread going it should be very helpful for people considering electric power for the first time.

Thanks in advance! Let's see those planes! lol

Also (I just though of this), if anyone wants to moderate this thread and keep a list in this first post of suppliers for electric flight components, please PC (Private Conversation, our version of a PM) me by clicking on my username and the "Start a Conversation") me.

Thanks again!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have an 88" Extreme Flight Yak 54. I am using what is considered as a "50CC equivalent" power package, though I have never flown a 50cc engine before so I can't really compare. My setup consists of the following:

-Hacker A60-18L
-Hacker Master Spin 99 OPTO ESC (Jeti Spin 99)
-Hobby King turnigy 6 cell 5000 30C packs in series for 12S2P 5000
-Xoar 24x12 PJN electric beechwood prop
-EC5 connectors

Generally speaking, larger equipment like this already comes equipped with appropriately sized wiring, so you need only fit the correct connectors. Usually you want to eliminate the bullet connectors between the motor and ESC to eliminate any resistance there, battery connectors are enough resistance as is.

Total, I am making a max of 3600 watts and ~70 amps of current. Freshly charged packs have enough power to muscle it out of a hover with authority and I can hover with a little over 1/2 throttle, but it's no vertical rocket. Towards the later end of my flight power is notably lower and hovering takes a bit over 3/4 throttle to get it to hold, and pull out power is minimal. Flight times are conservative at 6 minutes and I typically leave myself a minute to get down. Cells come down at 3.8 volts (good for long battery life).

slowgto

30cc
Most of the electrics I fly are smaller but here goes:

EFlight Park 480 1024KV
40Amp Eflight pro ESC
12x6 E APC

EFlight Park 480 1024KV
Castle 50 lite
12x6E SF APC

Hacker 30L-10
Castle 50 lite
10x6E SF APC

All are on 3S and the ESC's run super cool and stable.

gregm

IMAC Flyer
Jtec 2.7m Extra 300 CS

Weight - 20.5 lbs without batteries, 26-28 lbs RTF depending on battery capacity.

Hacker Q80-6L motor

Falcon 26x12 propeller

MGM 250-X2-Pro ESC

165 Amps or 7000 Watts

Revolectrix (4) 427HV 6S 5000mAhr as 12S2P for a single IMAC sequence

HK Nano-tech 6S 8000mAhr and Revolectrix 6S 5000mAhr as 12S2P for 2 IMAC sequences

Futaba R6208 and R6303 Receivers, one per A/C side

A123 1100mAh battery, one per A/C side

Futaba Servos, a BLS175SV per elevator, a BLS177SV per aileron and rudder

Last edited:

gregm

IMAC Flyer
EF 91" Extra
Hacker Q80-6L
Mej 24x10TH or Xoar 24x12 PJN
120 Amps or about 5000 Watts
YGE 160HV ESC
Futaba BLS172 Servos
Nanotecs 8000 6S batteries
21 lbs

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a little scratch built pylon racer that I built and raced years ago that I switch to E-Power last year.

The airplane has 31" span with a balsa/ply fuse and a balsa sheeted foam wing. It's glassed and painted and weighed in at 24.4 ounces dry in glow trim.

Here is what used;

Cobra C-2213/12 Brushless Motor, Kv=2000

Cobra 33A ESC with 3A Switching BEC

APC 6x5.5E Propeller

Turnigy 2200mah 3s 20 LiPo

Spektrum AR400 Receiver

It turned out a bit lighter than before and it's plenty fast. The motor and ESC can take another cell, but I'm sure about the pilot.

20141003_215949_resized_3.jpg
20141003_215954_resized_1.jpg