• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Electric Fuel can Set up build

Hey Guys..

As the season approches us.. I got to thinking man my 5 gallon fuel can is just to heavy when filled, I would like to have something ligter.. So I set out for some reasearch. I got to looking.. so here is what i came up with for the build.

Things Needed.

1 2.5 gallon
2. Electric Fuel pump
3. Project box
4. Tygon
5. Powerswitch
6. dubro Fuel can set up
7. wire and deans plugs and a battery

can.jpgproject box.jpgprojectboxandswitch.jpgpump.jpg

Tools needed
1. Soidering Iron
2. Wire Strippers
3. Heat Gun
4. Drill and Bits
5. Screw Driver

Step 1 Attach the Pump to the project box in the location that best fits your needs
pump set up.jpg Here you will need to drill a hole directly under where the pump mounts. To let the Wire form the pump access the Switch inside the box. Then you will need to drill two 1/8 inch holes to attach the pump to the box..

Step 2 Drill the hole for the switch to mount to the box. I used a one way rocker switch that is lighted. I rig my pumps up to just run one way which keeps you from back washing your filter. but the can will still fuel and defuel more to come on this later..

Step 3 Wire your swtich. The pump had some wires included, since the pump had a mini jst plug. I used the harness that came with it to go from the switch to the pump. Then I made my own harness that would go from switch to the battery and used a deans on that end since my batterys are deans. Use your choice of plugs thats best fits your needs.switch wire.jpg

Step 4 Put the Face plate on the project box. you now have a completed pump assembly
complete set up.jpg

Step 5 Plumb the Gas Jug, you can chose your own Locations for plumbing here I choose the ones that best fit my needs
fuel line in.jpgfuel line plumb.jpgfuel line plumb outside.jpg

Step 6 Next attach the pump assembly to the can. There are various ways you can do this just according to what kind of can you are using.
You can glue the assymbly to the can. or you could use a ubolt to go threw the project box and around the handel of the can. To hold the can to the assymbly. I will be using 3m TPO Plastic glue. Which is a twopart automotive glue that we use in bodyshop. This will not be cost effective for other guys beacuse the tpo is 45 dollars a two part tube. but the u bolt will probly be the best for most builders...

Step 7 You will need a 4 inch piece of tygon. Attach the Tygon to the Nipple going inside the can to the Clunk line.. after you have attached the 4inch line you will need a small piece of brass tubing around 2 inches long. then you will need a 12inch or more long Piece of tygon to go from the brass tube to the pump.. At this brass tube you will disconnect it from the clunk line and attach to your plane for defueling. doing it this way you will never back wash your filter that is inside your tank. Which will save you many dead sticks later due to a clogged filter in the carb. so when connected to the plane just leave the fill line in the holder which will put the fuel back in the can. Its a stupid simple way to keep from back washing your filter..

complete setup.jpg

if anyone is interested in one of these just send me a pm... I am thinking about making a few to sell... thanks for taking your time to read the thread..

Last edited by a moderator:
I might buy enough stuff up to make a few to sell at some events this year... see how it goes over.. the other premadw fuel cans on the market are out In space on cost