• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF 30-40cc. Laser VS MXS

• Thread starter Dead-Stick-Jake
  • Start date
D

Dead-Stick-Jake

Sounds like I'd like the laser because when I want a crazy loose plane to throw around ill fly a profile.
Id like to be able to outfly my plane rather than the plane being more capable than I am and having to chase its abilities rather than pushing the plane's abilities.
So it sounds like the MXS is a bit looser than the laser.

I'm choosing 30/40cc because a 50cc+ is just big enough that its a pita to store and transport. I'd rather have a less stressful and painless experience and not have to take stabs and rudders off to transport my planes in the van and still be able to bring one or two in the car too which I can't with a 50cc length plane.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
  • A wing loading under 30, but unlike cube loading, wing loading is tough to keep down as the size of the plane icreases, so with a wingspan over 100 inches, you have to compensate.
  • A wing cube loading in the 8.0 to 8.5 oz/cu ft range, but some XA and IMAC guys find this too light on the wing and will prefer something no less than 9.5. I've seen some really good IMAC performers come in at 10.5. I still prefer something under 8.5 or 8.6.
  • A power loading of 250 Watts per pound or higher, and I really like 275+ W/lb better. Some will say that's 'overpowered' but I'm not sure what that means. As far as I'm concerned, give me the power and I'll figure out how to use the throttle.
  • A 1.7-to-1 thrust to weight ratio, and 2 to 1 is just super, IMO. Again, some will say this is wasted power, but if you get low and slow and out of position, you'll wish you had it.
  • An aileron to wing area ratio of greater than 26%, and many are coming in at 32% now so this has become less of a priority.
  • An aspect ratio that depends on the fuse-to-wingspan ratio. This is also low on my list, but planes that have nearly the same fuse length and wing span will need a lower AR than more scale planes. My older aerobatic planes have an 88% to 90% fuse to wingspan, so an AR up to 6 is fine, while most of my current planes are almost 100% with the spinners on, at which point I like to see a number just under 5.

Great overview Jim

The Laser is a bit shorter than the MXS and has a wider fuse and is a little better internal design in my opinion.

What power plant you going with?

My laser fits in my SUV where a 50cc won't, so I understand that issue. Just that my 87" redwing slick is essentially the same money to put together as either of these "40cc" planes and is not terribly bigger in the fuse.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420916701.669708.jpg

Not much difference in length. The Redwing has a bigger wing and thicker fuse. This is why putting a DA-50 into the MXS works.

Over on RCG there was a discusson on this. The Edge has serious pitch authority and the Laser is smooth, better balanced design. Similar weight and such. The Edge will be better at harrier and slow flight. Neither e-version is available yet.

D

Dead-Stick-Jake

bonedoc also put out a comparison of all the 60" birds. I think it was on the a extreme Flight owners Facebook page

Only thing is that there is a slight bit of difference in the sizes as the 78 and 76 are a bit heavier than the 2 74s. Also seems they have made the Edge character a little different.

The comparison was done by Doc Austin. He has a blog page.

Bonedoc did all those training videos and last I heard he was deployed. He is probably back now seeing how long it has been.

Last edited by a moderator: