• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

E-flite Beast 60e Aerobatic RC Plane, ARF

Feral

Nope she was just on display ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371302525.086452.jpg I'll be going up in this when I finally run out of rc planes to buy I'm not holding my breath though;)

gyro

GSN Contributor
The site has pre-ordered one. We'll be conducting a build log and official review on this amazing new plane!!

Feral

Sweet!!!! I'll look forward to that. We probably won't see it over here for at least 6 months after you blokes get it. It will give me some time to watch yous work out the bugs if any

gyro

GSN Contributor
Got a chance to speak with David Payne at Horizon Hobby today. He's one of the developers who worked with QQ on the new Beast 60e ARF. We talked about many things related to the new one, but here are he high notes:

- No airfoil, no problem.
I asked about the non-airfoiled tail, and he easily dismissed it as a non-issue. Referencing other HH models without them, he said its a matter of personal preference, and that it wasn't required to achieve the amazing performance the Beast 60e is capable of.

- To AS3X or not?
David explains that the airplane was designed to fly awesome without the AS3X enhanced stability system (along with all their models). He said adding it only improved the performance of the airplane, and is a great compliment to it. He also confirmed flight tests with the AS3X showed no adverse characteristics that would limit 3D maneuvers.

- Feel the POWER!
The new design Beast 60e ARF pushed HH to develop an appropriate motor for its capabilities, and the new Power 60e is that motor. David was very clear that this motor will fly the airplane through very fast and very aggressive maneuvers, which is also why they felt the need for the mini sized servos in the wings. He described the ailerons as HUGE.

- Beastly comparison, little or BIG?
David felt like the new Beast really combined the best characteristics of the UMX Beast and the 100cc, and even remarked that the 60e could do some things BETTER than the big 100cc!

- But I really wanted gas!!
Yes, many people are still clamoring for that 20-50cc sized Beast.... This isn't it! David was adamant that this is an Eflite airplane, and not a gasser. Both the firewall design and the actual airframe build do not lend towards a gas bash.

More info to come as we continue to gather facts while waiting for our Beast to tear down the front door.

-Gyro

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Got a chance to speak with David Payne at Horizon Hobby today. He's one of the developers who worked with QQ on the new Beast 60e ARF. We talked about many things related to the new one, but here are he high notes:

- No airfoil, no problem.
I asked about the non-airfoiled tail, and he easily dismissed it as a non-issue. Referencing other HH models without them, he said its a matter of personal preference, and that it wasn't required to achieve the amazing performance the Beast 60e is capable of.

- To AS3X or not?
David explains that the airplane was designed to fly awesome without the AS3X enhanced stability system (along with all their models). He said adding it only improved the performance of the airplane, and is a great compliment to it. He also confirmed flight tests with the AS3X showed no adverse characteristics that would limit 3D maneuvers.

- Feel the POWER!
The new design Beast 60e ARF pushed HH to develop an appropriate motor for its capabilities, and the new Power 60e is that motor. David was very clear that this motor will fly the airplane through very fast and very aggressive maneuvers, which is also why they felt the need for the mini sized servos in the wings. He described the ailerons as HUGE.

- Beastly comparison, little or BIG?
David felt like the new Beast really combined the best characteristics of the UMX Beast and the 100cc, and even remarked that the 60e could do some things BETTER than the big 100cc!

- But I really wanted gas!!
Yes, many people are still clamoring for that 20-50cc sized Beast.... This isn't it! David was adamant that this is an Eflite airplane, and not a gasser. Both the firewall design and the actual airframe build do not lend towards a gas bash.

More info to come as we continue to gather facts while waiting for our Beast to tear down the front door.

-Gyro

Outstanding little "insider" review and commentary Gary. Thanks. It sounds like I real party pleaser!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Outstanding little "insider" review and commentary Gary. Thanks. It sounds like I real party pleaser!

My pleasure Daren. It was really cool to talk to one of the plane's designer/developer, and to hear his excitement about the plane. Can't wait to see it in person!

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
thanks for the info gyro, but i have to say the answer to the non-airfoiled tail makes me nervous. i have never really dug deep into the difference of that on smaller airframes, but the fact that he said a lot of other HH planes dont have it doesnt reassure me. i really cant wait to see video of this thing, i dont think ill have much of a choice when it comes time to order this one

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Don't mean to bring up the dreaded foamie again but the Peaks non airfoil tail does pretty well and that's foam.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just my opinion, but if you're on the fence about ordering, just do it.
I don't think Horizon is going to put out an airplane that isn't stable at high speeds and call it 3D capable. Based on my talk with David today, I got the impression that it would have received air-foiled tail feathers if testing showed it to need them. It seemed to me that they thoroughly tested the plane.
Also, this plane is being marketed and sold as 3D capable. If you think it'll do 3D as well as an low wing Edge, you're going to be disappointed... however if you like it for what it is, a smaller, electric, very competitively priced biplane, with an awesome design, great customer service, and a steady supply of spare parts should you need them... then look no further.
I suspect this plane will impress.

-G