• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dx18 qq problem after update

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Ok, after updating dx18 to use a variometer with sailplane , the radio no longer binds to any reciever any model, have tested on several reciever and tested them against a dx8 and every one of them works, cannot be rx. Tech help says any update will not interfere with binding and to send it in.
Worked perfectly prior to the update, anyone else have this problem and if so... what is the solution? Thanks guys.

Have done all the recommended settings and ensured its in right mode, frame rate, tried binding with dsmx , 2 and swapped the satellites , tried different bind plugs, different lengths from unit , battery is charged fully, have scoured the web for an answer and so far nothing works, spektrum highly recommends NOT going back to previous updates , so im quite lost. Before I send it in and lose a month of flying, any suggestions?

IMAC FANATIC

No dice, card in or card out, zero change. Was hopeful too because I hadn't tried that angle yet.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
No dice, card in or card out, zero change. Was hopeful too because I hadn't tried that angle yet.
Damn the luck. That usually works.

One last ditch effort, try putting a different SD card in it and try binding it. If that doesn't work, might be time to send it in.

I just thought of one more thing to try. Have you disconnected the radio battery and let it sit for a couple minutes then hook it back up?

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@IMAC FANATIC

What's the verdict? Did you end up having to send it in?

image.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Sorry guys, so after reading every single thread and trying every method I went out to the shop one morning and tried what would be one last time, somehow some way .... it bound!
Have to make new models because the old ones do not bind still but any new one does now, also with the update came like 20 programs for planes and helis I do NOT own, I dont know if these were the original owners or came with the update? Its all very strange. Re doing the programs wont be difficult since there were only two models on this radio but... the IMAC re set up will take awhile with all the mixes .
Working with paul, he has a method to organize the files and make life easier, thanks Paul !
So, in the end of this story, the vario from Spektrum works and is an unreal enhancer for glider flight, shows you where thermals and upstarts and sinks are located, I dont know how glider guys did it without one, yet, the annoyance and frustration with the update and the work involved with it was in fact frustrating. Leaves a niggling worry in the back of my mind that theres some program fault that may rear its ugly head one day.
Maybe just leaving the radio switched off over night , battery and sd card out and throwing in the towel somehow reset the radio and allowed it to work again is my only explanation, and I dont like problems without absolute answers.
No more updates for me thank you !
And thanks for all the help guys, always much appreciated.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Brian, instead of making new models from scratch have you tried making copies of the old ones and see if they bind? I guess you can make copies on a Spektrum. I do it all the time on my JR 11X.