• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dmss?

are there any jr users out there i'm considering a xg8 to replace my dx7 i've had two flight failures now with it, so i'm going away from dsmx. i was pretty committed to getting a futaba 14sg but the jr is a little more in my price range just looking for input. i don't know anyone who uses one and i've never handled one so i'm just looking for info thanks.

wedoitall

Patrick, have you checked your servo setups for binding? You can buy a meter to look at your amp draw or if you have a wattmeter you can solder you up some servo extensions to hook into your wattmeter and see what your pulling at idle and at full throw. also if you do this move all surfaces while you move the servo your looking at on the wattmeter.

Ive read where people were having brownouts due to servos pulling too many amps.

i considered it but both times have been in normal flight, not doing any 3d moves or radical movements. once in a straight vertical climb and once in a very gentle turn. and i've looked for binding and haven't found anything i'll go buy the lhs and see if they have something to check amp draw. i'm using the ef 80 amp esc and there built in bec since i only have 5245 in the plane.

Patrick, have you checked your servo setups for binding? You can buy a meter to look at your amp draw or if you have a wattmeter you can solder you up some servo extensions to hook into your wattmeter and see what your pulling at idle and at full throw. also if you do this move all surfaces while you move the servo your looking at on the wattmeter.

Ive read where people were having brownouts due to servos pulling too many amps.

I was planning on running a 2s lipo regulated to 6v but i called ef and they said this setup would work great and for 81 flights it did. Still dont know thats the issue i think my transmitter might just be old and time for a new setup

wedoitall

may want to send it in. Mine dx8 isn't new and I didn't even show them a bill of sale and they fixed it no charge. took 2 weeks from the time I sent it off till I got it back.

may want to send it in. Mine dx8 isn't new and I didn't even show them a bill of sale and they fixed it no charge. took 2 weeks from the time I sent it off till I got it back.

What needed to be fixed on your DX8? It seems like every single Spek radio at my field has been sent back to Horizon at one point or another. By all accounts, their CS is fantastic. One of my friends was asked to valuate the two planes he lost while flying them with his DSMX updated DX8. When he told them $200, he said their reply was "Ok, how about $250 to replace them?"!

I was planning on running a 2s lipo regulated to 6v but i called ef and they said this setup would work great and for 81 flights it did. Still dont know thats the issue i think my transmitter might just be old and time for a new setup

Take a look at Airtronics. I don't regret making the switch. My dx7 (DSM2) is indispensable as a backup, flying with the guys at my field. I find the DSM2 protocol works flawlessly at my 6 pilot station field, but I wanted a radio with more comprehensive programming features.

SnowDog

Take a look at Airtronics. I don't regret making the switch. My dx7 (DSM2) is indispensable as a backup, flying with the guys at my field. I find the DSM2 protocol works flawlessly at my 6 pilot station field, but I wanted a radio with more comprehensive programming features.

I am also a very satisfied Airtronics user...and you can get a used SD-10G right now for a great price (they are coming out with a new version in January)...I just found a used SD-10G for $150! I bought it to have a backup in case anything ever happens to my primary TX. Oh yeah, it came with an FHSS-3 10ch RX for $75!! :D

Th SD-10G is super reliable, super fast, easy to program and has exceeded all my needs. First question people ask: does it have telemetry? Answer: No. That's not a problem for me, for others it might be.

wedoitall

What needed to be fixed on your DX8? It seems like every single Spek radio at my field has been sent back to Horizon at one point or another. By all accounts, their CS is fantastic. One of my friends was asked to valuate the two planes he lost while flying them with his DSMX updated DX8. When he told them $200, he said their reply was "Ok, how about $250 to replace them?"!

It was probably my fault actually. It had been dropped 2x. They said it was a solder joint. Plus I had the back off of it a few times which may have weakened the joint due to the wires having strain.