• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dle170 issue

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
I have a question for the gurus on here. Running a DLE170 and it runs great in the air and at an idle coming in a harrier. I can pull it up into a hover and regardless of if I keep it there for 10 second or 2 minutes it will almost die just after I flatten it out to fly away. I quickly picks back up, but scares me every time. Any thoughts? Everything on the tank checks out and does it with a full tank or 1/4.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I do not operate the 170 but I would consider leaning the low end just a tad more and check and see if a 1mm thick washer put under the spring for the metering needle helps. The reason I say try this is that your crank case is probably "pooling" fuel at the rear bearing location and once you proceed back to a parallel flight attitude it gets picked up and excessively richens the combustion chamber. I think it will help but it is not going to completely cure the problem. Just the nature of the fuel mixing inside the engine.

Last edited:

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
That's an interesting thought @49dimes, I have changed to a walbro carb from a DA 170 but haven't flown it yet since I've been enjoying my 108" so much. Next pretty day we have, I plan to get it out and see how she does now.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I had a walbro on my 170 and it took a while for me to sneak up on a really great low needle setting since the needle start position is only about 7/8" out to start with.....just tiny hairs of adjustment for a while. I would try the hover test up high though, second guess to mixture for me would be heat building up.

Pbilt024

70cc twin V2
I don't think that heat was the issue on this one, because it's baffled nicely with louvers and other air exits on the bottom. It also didn't matter if the hover was 5 seconds or 2 minutes, and it was a cool day also. Thanks for the tip on the low end needle adjustment. I put the white rose needles in the Walbro to make adjustment easier too.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Cool! when I was out last Sunday my DA 120 told me "I'm broke in" now and did pretty much what you described but a blip of the throttle cleared it and of course pull out was a launch out. It had really fatend up and I could tell the crank case was "loading up" a bit. Like Terry said sneak up on that low needle. I also read my tac before I broke down for the day and falcon 29x9 riped 6500!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Cool! when I was out last Sunday my DA 120 told me "I'm broke in" now and did pretty much what you described but a blip of the throttle cleared it and of course pull out was a launch out. It had really fatend up and I could tell the crank case was "loading up" a bit. Like Terry said sneak up on that low needle. I also read my tac before I broke down for the day and falcon 29x9 riped 6500!

That DA 120 is one beast of a motor isn't it? Not too much shy of the one-fity.