• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DL 50 Issue

Hey Folks. Having an issue with my DL 50 that I am flying on my Ultimate. I don't have but maybe 4 or 5 tanks through this yet and the previous owner may have only put one or two through it, so pretty much a new engine just in the break in stage. Was running a little fat two flights ago so I leaned the high and low just a touch, and you guessed it......Dead Stick:very_angry::steamer: on the next flight. Pulled the cowl and richened the high a little and just touched the low end to the rich side. Now on the ground run up when I take it to WOT and back to idle it will come down about a 800 to a 1,000 rpm above the set idle, surge a little up and down for about 5 to10 seconds then settle down to the set idle. What am I doing wrong!:frown:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The 50 had the "clone" rage years back and some had walbro knock offs for carbs. I understood it that tuning of the knock off carb was some what tedious. Really cant tell that any thing you are doing is wrong. Like Bunky said......You might also consider putting both needles back to the starting point of 1.5 turns out L and H and go from there. Remember that as an engine breaks in it normally richens up a bit requiring a L needle adjustment and maybe a high but not always. The weather has changed also and engines tuned during the summer months will be lean now.

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing. Go back to factory settings and start from there. Kelly, I believe it has the knock off carb but I'll look again . Bunkey before adjusting it just kept getting fatter in the mid range (kinda like me :LOL_gif:) but the idle was solid with no surging.

emtp275

100cc
If it is surging kind of like a motor does just before it runs out of gas it's too lean on the low end richen it a hair then when you make adjustments only do the high or low which ever is off that makes it easier to go back if the adjustment had an adverse effect.